Non-Identifiable Data Files
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) makes certain Non-Identifiable Data Files (also known as public use files or PUFs) available for order. Non-Identifiable Data Files do not contain any protected health information (PHI) or personally identifiable information (PII). As a result, CMS has not set any restrictions on who may purchase these files and does not require requestors to sign a Data Use Agreement.
Please use the navigation bar on the left to view information about the Non-Identifiable Data Files available for order.
The steps below provide instructions on how to order and pay for Non-Identifiable Data Files. Before beginning the process to request these files, please read the “CMS Disclaimer – User Agreement – Non-Identifiable Files” in the Downloads section below. This document contains important information regarding timeframes for obtaining data as well as data accuracy and integrity.
Steps to Purchase Non-Identifiable Data Files:
- Complete the order form from the Downloads section below with the exception of the Agency Tracking ID. The Agency Tracking ID will be obtained in the second step after the Pay.gov transaction has been completed. The order form will calculate the total cost for the files being ordered.
- Visit the Pay.gov website to complete the CMS Data Payment Form (the link to the form is available in the Related Links section below). Follow the Pay.gov directions to proceed with processing your transaction. At the end of a successful transaction, an Agency Tracking ID will be provided. This tracking ID must be recorded on the order form prior to submission to CMS. Without an Agency Tracking ID, CMS cannot verify the payment when receiving the order form.
- Add the Agency Tracking ID to the order form.
- Submit the order form to CMS at FilesforOrder@cms.hhs.gov.
- Page last Modified: 01/09/2017 8:59 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins