Skip to Main Content
Title
Self-insured health plans.
First Author
McDonnell, Patricia A
Date of Pub
1986 Winter
Pages
1-16
Volume
8
Issue
2
Other Authors
Arnett 3d, Ross H; Greenberg, Leonard; Guttenberg, Abbie
Abstract
Nationwide, 8 percent of all employment-related health plans were self-insured in 1984, which translates into more than 175,000 self-insured plans according to our latest study of independent health plans. The propensity of an organization to self-insure differs primarily by its size, with large establishments more likely to self-insure. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the self-insured benefit was hospital and/or medical. Among employers who self-insure, 23 percent self-administer, and the remaining 77 percent hire a commercial insurance company, Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan, or an independent third-party administrator to administer the health plan.
Abstract Continued
N/A
MeSH
Organizations : Data Collection : Government : Health Benefit Plans, Employee/organization & administration : Health Maintenance Organizations : Industry : Insurance, Health/organization & administration : Labor Unions : Religion : Schools : Statistics : United States : United States Health Care Financing Administration
NTIS Number
PB88-131586