When assisting small employers with Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) health insurance, agents and brokers can work with insurance companies to help employers enroll, manage coverage, and pay premiums.
Enrolling in SHOP
Small businesses and non-profits can enroll in a SHOP plan through an insurance company or with the help of an agent or broker. Small employers do not enroll using HealthCare.gov.
Small employers that are new to SHOP insurance will need to verify their eligibility using the SHOP eligibility determination form at HealthCare.gov. HealthCare.gov also offers important online SHOP resources for agents and brokers, and small employers.
For more information on SHOP plans and other coverage options for small businesses, visit the HealthCare.gov small business section.
Registering for SHOP
Agents and brokers must still register to sell SHOP insurance.
- To register to sell SHOP insurance in states with Federally-facilitated SHOPs, you must have a CMS Enterprise Portal User ID. If you already have one to sell individual plans, you do not need to create a second account.
- After logging in or creating an account, select the agent/broker role and request “application access,” and then complete the identity proofing process. When finished, your CMS Enterprise Portal user ID will be activated.
- Next, you need to sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement in the Marketplace Learning Management System (MLMS) by logging into the CMS Enterprise Portal. Once you sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement, you’ll be able to sell SHOP insurance.
- All agents and brokers who have signed the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement will be searchable by employers through the Find Local Help tool at HealthCare.gov.
Key SHOP Resources
- Health Insurance for Small Businesses
- SHOP Tools and Calculators
- SHOP: Health Insurance for Small Business (Video)
For additional SHOP resources, visit:
SHOP Call Center:
Contact the SHOP Call Center at 1-800-706-7893 (TTY: 1-888-201-6445)