Use this report to view all Local Coverage Articles or just the Local Coverage Articles for one or more contractor numbers within one or more states. Articles include billing, coding and other guidelines created by a Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) that are related to a Local Coverage Determination (LCD).
Learn more about the various document types found in the MCD
Note that Article document IDs begin with the letter "A" (e.g., A12345).
Getting to know the Report
This report contains a list of Local Coverage Articles. By default, all Local Coverage Articles are included but you can limit the list to one or more contractor numbers within one or more states.
The columns in this report include:
- ID: The ID of the Local Coverage Article.
- Title: The title of the Local Coverage Article.
- Contractor: The Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) responsible for the Local Coverage Article.
- Effective Date: If it is a new Article then this is the effective date of the original version of the Article. If it is an existing Article then this is the effective date of the revised version.
- Last Updated: If it is a new Article then this is the date the Article was created. If it is an existing Article then this is the date the Article was updated.
- Status: The status of the Local Coverage Article -- Active, Retired or Future Effective.
Filtering Your Report
You can filter your report by using the two criteria in the upper left. Changing the filters will immediately update your report.
Choose from a list of states. Selecting one or more states will limit your report to only the Local Coverage Articles relevant for the selected state(s). After selecting one or more states, you have the option to further limit the report to one or more contractor numbers. By default, all states are included in the report.
Choose from a list of Article statuses -- Active, Retired or Future Effective. By default, all statuses are included in the report. Please note the MCD only includes retired documents for less than one year. For documents retired beyond one year, visit the MCD Archive.
Sorting Your Report
You can sort your report by using the Sort By feature in the upper right. Changing the sort will immediately update your report.
You can open a document by selecting the link in the ID column.
Adding Documents to the Basket
You can add documents to the basket by selecting the basket icon associated with the document of interest. Adding documents to the basket will allow you to reference the documents at a later time. Selecting the basket icon in the table's header row will add all the documents in the table to the basket. However, this feature is disabled if there are more than 50 documents in the table.
To see the items in your basket, select the basket icon in the navbar.
Printing a Document to PDF
There are multiple ways to create a PDF of a document that you are currently viewing. You can use your browser's Print function (Ctrl-P on a PC or Command-P on a Mac) to view a print preview and then select PDF as the output. Another option is to use the Download button at the top right of the document view pages (for certain document types).
At the bottom of the report, you will find additional helpful features:
- Report Run Date: The date you ran the report
- Selected Criteria: This is the criteria used to run the report
- Submit Feedback/Ask a Question: Use this feature to contact CMS
- Download to Excel: Use this feature to download all of the report data to an Excel file
Within the state dropdown list, you can also select to narrow your search by CMS Region. The CMS Regions are broken out by state as follows:
- Region I: CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT
- Region II: NJ, NY, Puerto Rico (PR), Virgin Islands (VI)
- Region III: DC, DE, MD, PA, VA, WV
- Region IV: AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN
- Region V: IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI
- Region VI: AR, LA, NM, OK, TX
- Region VII: IA, KS, MO, NE
- Region VIII: CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY
- Region IX: AZ, CA, HI, NV, American Samoa (AS), Guam (GU), Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)
- Region X: AK, ID, OR, WA
Partial State Selections
Both California and New York support partial state selections. The state selections for California include "California - Entire State", "California - Northern" and "California - Southern" and New York include "New York - Entire State", "New York - Downstate", "New York - Queens", "New York - Upstate".
When searching documents for California and New York, your results may include documents that are not relevant for your location. For example, if your location of service was in Southern California, your results may include documents that are associated only with "California - Northern", which may not be relevant. When viewing Articles and LCDs for California and New York, please review the geographic information for that document and confirm that the document is relevant for your location of service.