Use this report to view all Proposed Local Coverage Determinations (LCDs) or just the Proposed LCDs for one or more states. Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) publish Proposed LCDs before an LCD becomes final. LCDs are decisions made by a MAC regarding what's reasonable and necessary and, therefore, covered by Medicare in the MAC jurisdiction.
Learn more about the various document types found in the MCD
Note that Proposed LCD document IDs begin with the letters "DL" (e.g., DL12345).
Getting to know the Report
This report contains a list of Proposed LCDs. By default, all Proposed LCDs are included but you can limit the list to one or more contractor numbers within one or more states.
The columns in this report include:
- ID: The ID of the Proposed LCD.
- Title: The title of the Proposed LCD.
- Contractor: The Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) responsible for the Proposed LCD.
- Status: The status of the Proposed LCD in the LCD Process.
- Comment Period: When the Proposed LCD is or was open for public comment (i.e., when the public can/could provide comments on the document).
- Notice Period: The period of time, which is a minimum 45 days, between when the Final LCD version has been published and when it goes into effect. Selecting the dates will bring the user to the version of Final LCD that was displayed during the Notice Period, even if there are now newer versions of the Final LCD.
- Final LCD ID: If the Proposed LCD is connected to a Final LCD, the ID of the Final LCD will be listed. Selecting the ID will bring the user to the latest version of the Final LCD. (The Final LCD may or may not have had subsequent versions created since the Proposed LCD process.)
Filtering Your Report
You can filter your report by using the two criteria in the upper left. Changing the filters will immediately update your report.
Choose from a list of states. Selecting one or more states will limit your report to only the Proposed LCDs relevant for the selected state(s). After selecting one or more states, you have the option to further limit the report to one or more contractor numbers. By default, all states are included in the report.
Choose from a list of Proposed LCD statuses -- In Comment, Comments Ended, In Notice or Final Issued. By default, all statuses are included in the report.
Sorting Your Report
You can sort your report by using the Sort By feature in the upper right. Changing the sort will immediately update your report.
You can open a document by selecting the link in the ID column.
Adding Documents to the Basket
You can add documents to the basket by selecting the basket icon associated with the document of interest. Adding documents to the basket will allow you to reference the documents at a later time. Selecting the basket icon in the table's header row will add all the documents in the table to the basket. However, this feature is disabled if there are more than 50 documents in the table.
To see the items in your basket, select the basket icon in the navbar.
Printing a Document to PDF
There are multiple ways to create a PDF of a document that you are currently viewing. You can use your browser's Print function (Ctrl-P on a PC or Command-P on a Mac) to view a print preview and then select PDF as the output. Another option is to use the Download button at the top right of the document view pages (for certain document types).
At the bottom of the report, you will find additional helpful features:
- Report Run Date: The date you ran the report
- Selected Criteria: This is the criteria used to run the report
- Submit Feedback/Ask a Question: Use this feature to contact CMS
- Download to Excel: Use this feature to download all of the report data to an Excel file
Within the state dropdown list, you can also select to narrow your search by CMS Region. The CMS Regions are broken out by state as follows:
- Region I: CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT
- Region II: NJ, NY, Puerto Rico (PR), Virgin Islands (VI)
- Region III: DC, DE, MD, PA, VA, WV
- Region IV: AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN
- Region V: IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI
- Region VI: AR, LA, NM, OK, TX
- Region VII: IA, KS, MO, NE
- Region VIII: CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY
- Region IX: AZ, CA, HI, NV, American Samoa (AS), Guam (GU), Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)
- Region X: AK, ID, OR, WA
Partial State Selections
Both California and New York support partial state selections. The state selections for California include "California - Entire State", "California - Northern" and "California - Southern" and New York include "New York - Entire State", "New York - Downstate", "New York - Queens", "New York - Upstate".
When searching documents for California and New York, your results may include documents that are not relevant for your location. For example, if your location of service was in Southern California, your results may include documents that are associated only with "California - Northern", which may not be relevant. When viewing Articles and LCDs for California and New York, please review the geographic information for that document and confirm that the document is relevant for your location of service.