Prevalence and Medicare utilization and spending are presented for the 21 chronic conditions listed below. Information is presented for (1) U.S. counties, (2) U.S. states, including Washington, DC, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and is available for the years 2007-2017.
The data are available as Excel files.
|Alcohol Abuse||Drug Abuse/ Substance Abuse|
|Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementia||Heart Failure|
|Arthritis (Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid)||Hepatitis (Chronic Viral B & C)|
|Atrial Fibrillation||Hyperlipidemia (High cholesterol)|
|Autism Spectrum Disorders||Hypertension (High blood pressure)|
|Cancer (Breast, Colorectal, Lung, and Prostate)||Ischemic Heart Disease|
|Chronic Kidney Disease||Osteoporosis|
|Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease||Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders|
Note: On October 1, 2015 the conversion from the 9th version of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9-CM) to version 10 (ICD-10-CM) occurred. Regardless of when a claim was submitted for payment, services that occurred prior to October 1, 2015, use ICD-9 codes. Chronic conditions identified in 2015 are based upon ICD-9 codes for the first ¾ of the year (January-September) 2015 and ICD-10 codes for the last quarter of the year (October-December). Starting in 2016, chronic conditions identified are based upon ICD-10 codes for the full year. Detailed information on the identification of chronic conditions in the CCW is available at http://www.ccwdata.org/chronic-conditions/index.htm.
Inquiries regarding this data can be sent to MedicareChronicConditions@cms.hhs.gov.
- Prevalence State/County Level: All Beneficiaries by Age, 2007-2017 [ZIP, 20MB]
- Prevalence State Level: All Beneficiaries by Sex and Age, 2007-2017 [ZIP, 2MB]
- Prevalence State Level: All Beneficiaries by Race/Ethnicity and Age, 2007-2017 [ZIP, 6MB]
- Prevalence State Level: All Beneficiaries by Medicare-Medicaid Enrollment and Age, 2007-2017 [ZIP, 2MB]
- Utilization/Spending State Level: All Beneficiaries, 2007-2017 [ZIP, 714KB]
- Spending County Level: All Beneficiaries, 2007-2017 [ZIP, 18MB]
- Page last Modified: 04/05/2019 10:46 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins