Measures Management System
Measures Management System
What is the Measures Management System?
The Measures Management System (MMS) is a standardized system for developing and maintaining the quality measures used in various Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) initiatives and programs. MMS also supports quality-related activities across the agency. Quality measures are tools that help improve the quality of healthcare through an approach that is consistent and accountable. Click here to learn more about quality measures.
The primary goals of the MMS are to:
- Provide support and guidance to measure developers to help them produce high-caliber healthcare quality measures, and
- Educate and inform stakeholders to promote involvement in and awareness of the Measure Lifecycle.
How Does the MMS Accomplish These Goals?
MMS consists of several functions that work together to achieve these goals. Each of the functions includes tools and resources available to developers and stakeholders.
- Developer Support ensures that measure developers have access to education and information that provides guidance and best practices in developing clinical quality measures. This includes the Blueprint package, a comprehensive guide to measure development, and resources (including presentations and supporting materials).
- Inventory Maintenance maintains CMIT (the CMS Measures Inventory Tool), which is a repository of information about CMS measures. The Inventory is used to inform stakeholders, manage the CMS measure portfolio, and guide measure development. The tool allows users to find measures quickly; compile and refine sets of related measures; identify measures across the continuum of care; and coordinate measurement efforts across conditions, settings, and populations.
- Information Gathering provides several tools, processes, and programs to help measure developers and those interested in quality gather information to help support measure development, maintenance, and other quality-related activities. These include the ESST (Environmental Scan Support Tool) that provides information on measures published in the medical literature through environmental scans. The De Novo Measure Scan (DNMS) helps measure developers conduct early and frequent environmental scans while developing new measures and reduces the time required to conduct information gathering. The DNMS is an advanced feature of the ESST on the controlled-access version of CMIT
- Stakeholder Engagement involves outreach to educate and inform anyone interested in measure development. This includes the development and presentation of webinars on related topics, outreach to potential participants in Technical Expert Panels (TEPs) and public comments, the maintenance of the MMS website, and the MMS Support Help Desk that answers questions regarding measure development and maintenance. The MMS Support Help Desk can help with:
- Web posting requests for a public comment, TEP, or call for measure
- Requests to publish announcements in the MMS Newsletter or through its email list
- CMIT account requests
- General measure development and maintenance questions
- Feedback or questions about the Blueprint Package
- Program Support helps measure developers navigate the pre-rulemaking processCMS Measures under Consideration Entry / Review Information Tool (CMS MERIT) and supports CMS programs in coordination efforts.