The MCD Search page is the starting point to search for Medicare Coverage documents. It allows users to identify and view both National and Local Coverage documents that reside within the database.
National Coverage documents maintained in the MCD include:
- National Coverage Determinations (NCDs)
- National Coverage Analyses (NCAs)
- Coding Analyses for Labs (CALs)
- Medicare Evidence Development & Coverage Advisory Committee (MEDCAC) meetings
- Technology Assessments (TA)
- Medicare Coverage Documents (MCDs)
Local Coverage documents maintained in the MCD include:
- Local Coverage Determinations (LCDs)
Learn more about the various document types found in the MCD
Enter Search Term
Start a search by entering your search term in the search box.
Enter one of the following types of search terms:
- Keyword: For example, "Acupuncture". This type of search will return all documents containing your search term.
- CPT/HCPCS procedure (billing) code: For example, "92250". CPT/HCPCS codes are only included in Local Coverage Articles and certain Durable Medical Equipment (DME) LCDs, or possibly in retired versions of LCDs. This type of search will return all documents containing the CPT/HCPCS code.
- ICD-10-CM code: For example, "E08.621". ICD-10-CM codes are only included in Local Coverage Articles, or possibly in retired versions of LCDs. This type of search will return all documents containing the ICD-10-CM code.
- Document ID: For example, "A12345", "L12345", "CAG-00044N". Please Note that MEDCAC Meetings, TAs, and MCDs do not have document IDs. Entering a document ID will directly open the document.
- Contractor name: This will return all documents pertaining to the specified contractor. Accepted values are: CGS, First Coast, NGS, Noridian, Novitas, Palmetto, and WPS.
Please note you can perform a search while leaving the search box empty. This will return all documents in the MCD.
As you enter your search term, a hint list will appear below the search box to help you with your search. If you see what you need in the hint list, you can select it. Otherwise, launch your search by pressing the <Enter> key or clicking on the green magnifying glass.
AMA License Agreement
If you enter a CPT/HCPCS code, you may see a yellow bar. Click on it to view and accept the AMA License Agreement. This will allow you to see matching CPT/HCPCS codes in the hint list.
Narrowing Your Search by the State
You can narrow your search to only those documents associated with a particular state by selecting the state where the service took place.
The MCD offers some limited smart search capability. The following are examples of some smart searches you can enter:
- "LCDs for cancer" will return LCDs that contain the word "cancer".
- "Acupuncture articles" will return Local Coverage Articles that contain the word "acupuncture".
- "Billing and coding articles for colonoscopy" will return Billing & Coding Articles that contain the word "colonoscopy".
Within the state dropdown list, you can also select to narrow your search by CMS Region. The CMS Regions are broken out by state as follows:
- Region I: CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT
- Region II: NJ, NY, Puerto Rico (PR), Virgin Islands (VI)
- Region III: DC, DE, MD, PA, VA, WV
- Region IV: AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN
- Region V: IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI
- Region VI: AR, LA, NM, OK, TX
- Region VII: IA, KS, MO, NE
- Region VIII: CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY
- Region IX: AZ, CA, HI, NV, American Samoa (AS), Guam (GU), Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)
- Region X: AK, ID, OR, WA
Partial State Selections
Both California and New York support partial state selections. The state selections for California include "California - Entire State", "California - Northern" and "California - Southern" and New York include "New York - Entire State", "New York - Downstate", "New York - Queens", "New York - Upstate".
When searching documents for California and New York, your results may include documents that are not relevant for your location. For example, if your location of service was in Southern California, your results may include documents that are associated only with "California - Northern", which may not be relevant. When viewing Articles and LCDs for California and New York, please review the geographic information for that document and confirm that the document is relevant for your location of service.