The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is a federal agency in the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that administers the Medicare program and works in partnership with state governments to administer Medicaid, the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and health insurance portability standards.
We also have other responsibilities, including:
- The administrative simplification standards from the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
- Quality standards in long-term care facilities (nursing homes) through the survey and certification process.
- Clinical laboratory quality standards under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA).
More agency information:
- Organizational chart (PDF 53KB)opens in new window
- Leadershipopens in new window
- Regional officesopens in new window
- Performance & budgetopens in new window
- Graphic standards guide (PDF, 812KB)opens in new window
- Copyright permission formopens in new window
Our social media
Stay connected to us through social media:
- YouTube channelopens in new window
- Facebookopens in new window
- LinkedInopens in new window
Health care provider resources
Provider claims or billing questions