George Hoffmann is the Deputy Director & Deputy CIO in the Office of Information Technology (OIT) in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). In this role he is responsible for Enterprise development and integration of programs to support agency-wide operations. Information technology (IT) governance and enterprise technology management, business and IT transformation. Large scale data, enterprise shared services, enterprise cloud strategy, and risk based security strategies. Prior to this he was the Deputy Director for the Office of Technology Solutions (OTS) where he provided oversight of software development, system implementation and operation, shared IT services, infrastructure hosting, networks, technical architecture, and financial investments and strategy. He provides leadership of new and Agile technology solutions in the Cloud.
George has almost 30 years of experience working in the commercial and public healthcare IT market with a focus in the areas of software development, system integration, data warehousing, and customer service. This included a role as Vice President for ViPS/GDIT where he was responsible for all operational aspects of their commercial health business product lines which provide IT solutions in the areas of fraud, waste and abuse, medical/quality management and ICD-10 coding.
George holds a BS in Computer Science from Hofstra University.
George Linares is the Chief Technology Officer at CMS. He serves as one of the Agency’s principal officials responsible for information technology (IT) at CMS in the areas of solutions architecture, enterprise interoperability, computer platforms and networks. George advocates the optimization of CMS’s IT investments and proposes enhancements to CMS IT and information management practices with an emphasis on continuously evolving and maturing CMS’s technical standards. He also fosters the introduction of innovative technologies focusing on opportunities to advance CMS’s program needs.
George joined CMS in 2003, and prior to his current role performed various functions, including Technical Advisor and Application Architect, where he managed and provided the overall guidance for the development of enterprise solutions that aligned with CMS and federal architectural standards and policies.
Prior to joining CMS, George worked as a software developer where he developed, implemented, and maintained large scale banking, manufacturing, and financial IT solutions.
George served in the U.S. Army and he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science from Towson University.
OIT Functional Statement
- Serves as the CMS Chief Information Officer and is responsible for providing implementation services and operational support for CMS component-specific information technology (IT) needs and enterprise-wide services.
- Serves as the lead and system integrator for enterprise-wide and component-specific software development efforts to ensure that the functions of Medicare, Medicaid, and Marketplace are carried out.
- Serves as the lead for developing and enforcing CMS' information architecture, policies, standards, and practices in all areas of IT.
- Provides IT hosting, managing and oversight of the operations, enhancement, and delivery of services for the IT infrastructure, including enterprise network communications.
- Provides IT support services through execution of IT contracts and the oversight of IT contract vehicles that may be utilized by CMS and other Federal Agencies.
- Manages and oversees the operations and delivery of essential IT services for the Agency's End User Computing Environment, including desktops, laptops, mobile devices, Email, office administration network/infrastructure and Help Desk Services.
- Directs and manages the engineering, development, implementation, and operations of new and existing Enterprise Shared Services.
- Develops and maintains enterprise-wide central databases, data warehouses, statistical files, and general data extracts and access paths, ensuring the quality of information maintained in these data sources.
- Provides ongoing systems maintenance and support to Medicare Fee-For-Services Claims Processing, Medicare Advantage and Part D, Beneficiary and Entitlement, and Health IT Economic and Clinical Health Act Systems.
- Directs and advises CMS on the requirements, policies, and administration of the Privacy Act. Provides data and information to the public, within the parameters imposed by the Privacy Act.
- Provides oversight, information security risk management, and monitoring of CMS information and information systems including those provided or managed by another Agency, contractor, or other source.
- Develops, implements, and disseminates agency wide information privacy and security policies, procedures, and standards.
- Manages the CMS IT budget formulation and execution, including operating plans, acquisition strategies and plans, budget call letters, and other IT budget-related strategies, requests and justifications.
- Manages IT Governance processes using best practices in IT Investment Management strategies and execution.
- Leads the coordination, development, implementation and maintenance of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act electronic data interchange health care information standards in the health care industry.
- Provides liaison on IT operational issues between CMS components, the DHHS, other Federal Agencies with direct business operation and technical interfaces.