Plan Year 2021 Registration and Training
Plan Year 2021 Marketplace Registration and Training is Live
Plan year 2021 Marketplace registration and training for agents and brokers is now available on the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Enterprise Portal.
Annual Marketplace Registration and Training Requirements
New Agents and Brokers
Agents and brokers who are new to the Marketplace this year, or who did not complete plan year 2020 registration and training, are required to take the full Individual Marketplace training for plan year 2021. New agents and brokers can take Individual Marketplace training either through the Marketplace Learning Management System (MLMS) or the CMS-approved vendor.
Returning Agents and Brokers
Agents and brokers who completed plan year 2020 Individual Marketplace registration and training will be eligible to take shorter training for plan year 2021, as well as optional review modules. Returning agents and brokers can take training either through the MLMS or the CMS-approved vendor regardless of how they completed the plan year 2020 training.
Help On Demand for Agents and Brokers
Help On Demand is a consumer assistance referral system that connects consumers seeking assistance with Marketplace-registered, state-licensed agents and brokers in their area who can provide immediate assistance with Marketplace plans and enrollments. Help On Demand is a CMS-contracted service developed and hosted by Help On Demand (formerly known as BigWave Systems). Only agents and brokers who have completed Marketplace training and registration are eligible to participate in Help On Demand. If you are already registered to participate in Help On Demand, you can log into your account at https://marketplace.helpondemand.com
For more information and resources on Help On Demand, visit the Help On Demand page.
Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP)
To participate in SHOP, agents and brokers must complete an MLMS profile and execute the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement. Agents and brokers are strongly encouraged to complete the associated training and exams, but it is not required.
For more information about participating in SHOP here.
CMS-Approved Vendor Training Option
Agents and brokers may choose to take training through the CMS-approved vendor to earn continuing education unit (CEU) credits. For plan year 2021, training is offered by America's Health Insurance Plans, Inc. (AHIP). This vendor may charge a fee to participate in training and is required to offer CEU credits in a minimum of five states where the Marketplace operates. These CEUs can be used to meet state licensure requirements for continuing education.
Agents and brokers must access CMS-approved vendor training via the CMS Enterprise Portal.
Note: If you complete Marketplace training with AHIP, you are still required to execute the applicable Agreement(s) with CMS on the MLMS prior to assisting consumers seeking to enroll in health coverage through the Marketplace.
SHOP training is available only on the MLMS. AHIP does not offer the SHOP curriculum as part of its plan year 2021 Marketplace training. If you complete Individual Marketplace training through AHIP and are interested in the SHOP, you must return to the MLMS to complete SHOP training.
Key Registration and Training Resources
- August 2020
- Pricing for Plan Year 2021 CMS-Approved Vendor Training (PDF)
- Returning Agents and Broker's Guide to Plan Year 2021 Marketplace Registration and Training tip sheet (PDF)
- New Agents and Broker's Guide to Plan Year 2021 Marketplace Registration and Training tip sheet (PDF)
- New or Returning Agent and Broker Registration and Training Process Workflow for Plan Year 2021 (PDF)
- Step by Step Slides: Plan Year 2021 Health Insurance Marketplace Registration and Training for New Agents and Brokers (PDF)
- Step by Step Slides: Plan Year 2021 Health Insurance Marketplace Registration and Training for Returning Agents and Brokers (PDF)
- National Producer Number (NPN) Validation Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (PDF)
- June 2020
- August 2017
Agent and Broker Federally-facilitated Marketplace (FFM) Registration Completion List
The Agent and Broker FFM Registration Completion List (RCL) contains the National Producer Numbers (NPNs) for agents and brokers who have completed Marketplace registration for plan year 2020. CMS posts this list as frequently as daily. All NPNs are self-reported by the agent or broker during Marketplace registration, and should be validated against state and/or other The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) records to confirm state licensure.
The Agent and Broker FFM Registration Termination List (RTL) contains the NPNs for agents and brokers whose FFM agreements and registration for the 2018 plan year have been terminated by CMS. Termination is described in regulation at 45 CFR 155.220(f)-(g).
Issuers, web-brokers, and agents and brokers can access the RCL and RTL by following the link below:
Issuers, web-brokers, and agents and brokers can access the RCL and RTL data dictionaries by following the links below:
For more information on the new RCL and RTL, review the slides from the June 15, 2016 webinar here (PDF).
Resources for Agents and Brokers
- Resources for Agents and Brokers in the Health Insurance Marketplaces
- General Resources
- Plan Year 2021 Open Enrollment
- Plan Year 2021 Registration and Training
- Web-brokers in the Health Insurance Marketplace
- Help On Demand
- Video Learning Center
- Issuer and DE Partner Directory
- Agent/Broker FAQs
- Agent/Broker Newsletters
- Agent/Broker Help Desks
- Registration Completion List
- Agent/Broker Marketplace Registration Tracker
- Registration Termination List
- Find Local Help
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)