The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Tennessee Affordable Insurance Exchange Grants Awards List
Tennessee has received four grant awards to build its Affordable Insurance Exchange. This includes a Planning Grant, and three Level One Establishment Grants.
Summaries of Tennessee’s applications for each grant are provided below:
Establishment Grant Level One Application Summary
Administrator: Tennessee Bureau of TennCare
Award Amount: $1,560,220; $2,249,945; $4,300,000
Award Date: November 29, 2011; February 22, 2012; May 16, 2012
Application Due Date: September 30, 2011; December 30, 2011; March 30, 2012
Level of Funding: Level One
Summary: In November 2011, Tennessee was awarded a $1.5 million Level One Establishment Grant which provided necessary funds to begin developing preliminary business requirements and RFPs for critical IT and operational functions necessary for successful Exchange implementation. Tennessee has also published a policy paper and continues to consult with stakeholders, other state officials and staff about the benefits and potential negative issues related to implementing and operating a state insurance exchange.
Tennessee submitted a second Level One Establishment grant for funding to support Exchange Planning staffing needs, ongoing review and analysis of new federal rules and guidance, planning for a health plan management system, marketing and outreach planning, consumer research assistance, and other administrative expenses. Tennessee continues to work with state officials and stakeholders to determine and implement the best policy choices for Tennesseans.
Tennessee will use additional Level One funding to build on the Planning Grant and previously-awarded Level One Establishment grants. The additional funding will support Small Business Health Options Program system infrastructure, reinsurance and risk adjustment administration, and Qualified Health Plan contract actuaries.
State Planning Grant
Awarded September 30, 2010
Administrator: Benefits Administration, Tennessee Department of Finance
Amount Awarded: $1,000,000
- Provide major deliverables include policy briefs, legal analyses and contractor studies, including a study on whether to merge the small group and individual markets.
- Analyze Tennessee’s resources and capabilities, with significant additional time spent on program integration and business operations.
- November 5, 2019 FAQ: Quality Rating Information Bulletin’s (Quality Bulletin’s) Display Guidelines for Direct Enrollment (DE) Entities
- November 1, 2019 Enhanced Direct Enrollment Approved Partners (Updated)
- September 11, 2019 FAQ: Enhanced Direct Enrollment Participation Requirements for Non-Issuer of a Primary EDE Entity Environment
- August 15, 2019 Quality Rating Information Bulletin for Plan Year 2020 Health Insurance Exchanges Quality Rating System (QRS) for Plan Year (PY) 2019: Results at a Glance
- April 18, 2019 CMS-9926-F: Final HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2020 Final 2020 Letter to Issuers on Federally-facilitated Exchanges Key Dates for Calendar Year 2019: QHP Certification in the FFEs; Rate Review; Risk Adjustment
- April 4, 2019 Guidance on Unified Rate Review Timeline: Timing of Submission of Rate Filing Justifications for the 2019 Filing Year for Single Risk Pool Coverage Effective on or after January 1, 2020
- March 19, 2019 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator Methodology
- March 6, 2019 CMS-9921-NC: Request for Information Regarding the Sale of Individual Health Insurance Coverage Across State Lines Through Health Care Choice Compacts
- February 28, 2019 Section 1332 Pass-through Funding Tools and Resources