Attention: Ground Ambulance Organizations Selected in Year 1 and Year 2 that are Required to Report Under the Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System (GADCS):
Selected ground ambulance organizations in Year 1 and Year 2 are required to collect data beginning in 2022 and report beginning in 2023 (within 5 months after your data collection period ends). We are pleased to announce that the system you will use to report your data, the GADCS portal, was deployed on December 30, 2022 and is now live. Please refer to this document for more information on how to access the system: Quick Tips on Registration and Requesting Access to the GADCS Portal.
Ambulance Fee Schedule: Calendar Year (CY) 2023 Ambulance Inflation Factor & Productivity Adjustment
The Ambulance Inflation Factor for CY 2023 is 8.7%. For more information, see the instruction to your Medicare Administrative Contractor (PDF).
2 Calendar Year (CY) 2023 Final Rules About Ambulance Services:
CY 2023 Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) final rule: https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/2022-23873/medicare-and-medicaid-programs-cy-2023-payment-policies-under-the-physician-fee-schedule-and-other
CMS finalized a series of changes to the Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System. First, we updated our regulations at § 414.626(d)(1) and (e)(2) to provide the necessary flexibility to specify how ground ambulance organizations should submit the hardship exemption requests and informal review requests, including to our web-based portal once that portal is operational. Second, we finalized further changes and clarifications to the Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection Instrument.
CY 2023 Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS) and Ambulatory Surgical Center final rule: https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/2022-23918/medicare-program-hospital-outpatient-prospective-payment-and-ambulatory-surgical-center-payment
CMS finalized its proposals to include REHs as a covered origin and destination for ambulance transport under the Ambulance Fee Schedule and that a REH that owns and operates an ambulance transportation may enroll in Medicare as an ambulance provider and receive payment under the Ambulance Fee Schedule if all coverage and payment requirements are met.
Updated Information on the Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System (GADCS):
CMS has posted the following documents:
- GADCS User Guide that walks you through the GADCS.
- Lists of Year 3 and Year 4 selected ground ambulance organizations. These organizations will receive notification letters via email and regular mail from their Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) starting in December 2022.
- Revised Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection Instrument which includes the changes that were finalized in the CY 2023 PFS Final Rule.
- Revised Facilities and Vehicle Templates. We revised the templates that we presented on our August 4, 2022 webinar.
- A copy of the Hardship Exemption Request Form.
Revised GADCS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document.
Ground Ambulance Industry Trends, 2017– 2020 Report: Analysis of Medicare Fee-for-Service Claims.
- Five Top GADCS Tips for Selected Ground Ambulance Organizations in Year 1 and Year 2 that are Required to Report Beginning in January 2023.
- Subscribe for email updates
- General ambulance inquiries: email AmbulanceODF@cms.hhs.gov
- Ground ambulance data collection inquiries: email AmbulanceDataCollection@cms.hhs.gov. Please include your organization’s name and National Provider Identifier (NPI) in your inquiry.
- Regional office inquiries: email FeeForServiceQuestions@cms.hhs.gov
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System
Effective January 1, 2020-2024, CMS will select ground ambulance providers and suppliers to participate in the Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System (GADCS). Get more Medicare GADCS information and resources.
- COVID-19 FAQs on Medicare Fee For Service Billing (PDF): See page 48 for Ambulance Services FAQs
- COVID-19 Emergency Declaration Blanket Waivers (PDF) : This revised modification to the data collection periods and data reporting periods impacts ground ambulance organizations that CMS selected for Years 1-2 of the Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System: See page 32
- Ambulance Treat in Place: See page 33
- Get more resources on COVID-19
Ambulance Fee Schedule (AFS)
Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System
- Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System (GADCS)
- GADCS User Guide (PDF) - Updated 12/06/2022
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (PDF) - Updated 11/07/2022
- Ground Ambulance Data Collection Instrument (PDF) - Updated 11/07/2022
- Ground Ambulance Data Collection Instrument: Spanish (PDF) - Updated 11/07/2022
Five Top GADCS Tips for Selected Ground Ambulance Organizations in Year 1 and Year 2 that are Required to Report Beginning in January 2023
- Quick Tips on Registration and Requesting Access to the GADCS Portal - Updated 01/06/2023
- Tip Sheet on Allocating Costs and Revenues
- Tip Sheet on Reporting Expenses for Contracted Services
- Tip Sheet on Reporting for Public Safety Organizations
- Tip Sheet on Reporting for Government-Based Organizations
- Tip Sheet on Reporting for Provider Organizations
- GADCS Educational Webinars
- Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Report: Medicare’s Ground Ambulance Data Collection System: Sampling and Instrument Considerations and Recommendations (PDF)
- Selected Providers & Suppliers: Year 1 (ZIP)
- Selected Providers & Suppliers: Year 2 (ZIP)
- Selected Providers & Suppliers: Year 3 (ZIP) - New 11/07/2022
- Selected Providers & Suppliers: Year 4 (ZIP) - New 11/07/2022
- Facilities Template (ZIP) - Updated 11/07/2022
- Vehicles Template (ZIP) - Updated 11/07/2022
- Hardship Exemption Request Form (PDF)
- Ground Ambulance Industry Trends, 2017–2020 Report: Analysis of Medicare Fee-for-Service Claims (PDF)
Educational Resources/Archive & Legacy Files
General Provider & Supplier Information
How to Stay Informed
- Ambulance Events
- Ambulance Open Door Forum
- Subscribe now to get the weekly MLN Connects® newsletter for the latest Medicare Fee-for-Service program information, event announcements, claims and price information, and MLN educational product updates.