2 Calendar Year (CY) 2023 Proposed Rules About Ambulance Services:
- Submit Comments by September 6th – Calendar Year (CY) 2023 Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) Proposed Rule
CMS issued the CY 2023 PFS proposed rule: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2022-07-29/pdf/2022-14562.pdf that announces and solicits public comments on proposed policy changes for Medicare payments under the PFS and other Medicare Part B payment policy issues including ambulance services. CMS is proposing a series of changes to the Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System. First, we are proposing to update our regulations at § 414.626(d)(1) and (e)(2) to provide the necessary flexibility to specify how ground ambulance organizations should submit the hardship exemption requests and informal review requests, including to our web-based portal once that portal is operational. Second, through review of questions and feedback that we received, we are proposing further changes and clarifications to the Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection Instrument. The changes and clarifications aim to reduce burden on respondents, improve data quality, or both. We group our proposed changes and clarifications into four broad categories: editorial changes for clarity and consistency; updates to reflect the web-based system; clarifications responding to feedback from questions from interested parties and testing; and typos and technical corrections. Lastly, we note that the CAA, 2022 delayed the deadline for MedPAC to submit its report to Congress on the ground ambulance data collection system study until June 15th, following the date the Secretary transmits data for the first representative sample of ground ambulance organizations.
As we stated in the CY 2023 PFS proposed rule, a draft of the updated Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection Instrument (PDF) that includes all of the CY 2023 proposed changes to review and provide comments on is posted here. These changes if finalized would be effective on or after January 1, 2023.
We encourage you to review the proposed rule, and submit formal comments by September 6, 2022.
- Submit Comments by September 13th – Calendar Year 2023 Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System Proposed Rule
CMS issued the Calendar Year 2023 Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS) and Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) Payment System proposed rule that announces proposed Medicare payment rates for hospital outpatient and ASC services. Proposals also include establishing provider enrollment procedures and payment rates for rural emergency hospitals. Section 125 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, added section 1834(x)(3) of the Act for payment for ambulance services. Specifically, newly added section 1834(x)(3) of the Act states: “For provisions relating to payment for ambulance services furnished by an entity owned and operated by a rural emergency hospital, see section 1834(l) of the Act.” Accordingly, the statute makes clear that the ambulance provisions under section 1834(l) of the Act apply to REHs that owns and operates an ambulance transportation in the same manner that they do for other ambulance providers and suppliers that receive Ambulance Fee Schedule payment for ambulance services. We made a corresponding proposal related to ambulance services.
We encourage you to review the rule, and submit formal comments by September 13, 2022.
- General ambulance inquiries: email AmbulanceODF@cms.hhs.gov
- Ground ambulance data collection inquiries: email AmbulanceDataCollection@cms.hhs.gov
- Regional office inquiries: email FeeForServiceQuestions@cms.hhs.gov
Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System (GADCS) Webinar: Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection Instrument: Using Facilities and Vehicles Templates on Thursday, August 4, 2022
2:00 PM- 3:00 pm ET.
To register for this Zoom webinar:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
During this call, CMS will describe templates organizations can use to import their responses to certain Section 8 (Facilities Costs) and Section 9 (Vehicle Costs) questions in the GADCS. The use of these templates is entirely optional. While everyone is welcome to listen in to this webinar and participate, this session will be most relevant to ground ambulance organizations with relatively many (e.g., more than five): facilities; ground ambulances; or non-ambulance vehicles related to ground ambulance operations.
A question-and-answer session will follow this presentation. You may send questions in advance to AmbulanceDataCollection@cms.hhs.gov with “August 4 Templates Webinar” in the subject line. We intend to answer questions submitted in advance during the call and participants may also submit live questions using the “Q&A” button at the bottom of your Zoom screen.
For more information, including the list of ground ambulance organizations selected to collect information starting in 2022 and report information starting in 2023, see the Ambulances Services Center webpage, the CY 2022 PFS Final Rule, the CY 2020 PFS final rule, and the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018.
Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System
Effective January 1, 2020-2024, CMS will select ground ambulance providers and suppliers to participate in the Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System (GADCS). Get more Medicare GADCS information and resources.
- COVID-19 FAQs on Medicare Fee For Service Billing (PDF): See page 48 for Ambulance Services FAQs
- COVID-19 Emergency Declaration Blanket Waivers (PDF) : This revised modification to the data collection periods and data reporting periods impacts ground ambulance organizations that CMS selected for Years 1-2 of the Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System: See page 32
- Ambulance Treat in Place: See page 33
- Get more resources on COVID-19
Ambulance Fee Schedule (AFS)
Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System
- Medicare Ground Ambulance Data Collection System (GADCS)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (PDF)
- Ground Ambulance Data Collection Instrument (PDF)
- Ground Ambulance Data Collection Instrument: Spanish (PDF)
- GADCS Educational Webinars
- Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Report: Medicare’s Ground Ambulance Data Collection System: Sampling and Instrument Considerations and Recommendations (PDF)
- Selected Providers & Suppliers: Year 1 (ZIP)
- Selected Providers & Suppliers: Year 2 (ZIP)