Revised Policies regarding the Immediate Imposition of Federal Remedies- FOR ACTION
• This policy memo replaces S&C: 16-31-NH released July 22, 2016 and the revision on July 29, 2016.
• Revisions to Chapter 7 of the State Operations Manual (SOM) (Attachment): The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
has revised guidance relating to the Immediate Imposition of Federal Remedies. Other sections of Chapter 7 have been revised
to ensure consistency with these revisions. Major revisions include:
• We specify that when the current survey identifies Immediate Jeopardy (IJ) that does not result in serious injury, harm,
impairment or death, the CMS Regions may determine the most appropriate remedy;
• We clarified that Past Noncompliance deficiencies as described in §7510.1 of this chapter, are not included in the criteria
for Immediate Imposition of Remedies;
• For Special Focus Facilities (SFFs), we now exclude any S/S level “F” citations under tags F812, F813 or F814 from the tags
that require immediate imposition of remedies.
• This memo is being released in draft. We seek comment on this policy by December 1, 2017.