Careers at CMS
CMS has some of the most exciting and rewarding careers in the federal government. Our work is vast - touching the lives of over 140 million Americans. Our mission is clear – putting patients first. And our ability to manage the Medicare, Medicaid, and Health Insurance Marketplace programs depends on our dedicated staff of public servants.
So whether you’re tech savvy, health focused, numbers driven, or anywhere in between – explore what CMS has to offer for you. Located in Maryland and offices around the country, we offer competitive benefits, meaningful assignments, and growth opportunities to enhance the trajectory of your career while providing a sense of purpose in your work.
Why a career at CMS? Watch to learn where else but CMS?
Want to learn more? Join our TOP 10 Webinar Series (PDF) every first and third Thursday at 12pm EST from September 2020 through January 2021! Missed a webinar? Find the recordings on the Careers at CMS Playlist on our YouTube channel.
What exciting opportunities can you find at CMS?
Don’t have current or past federal experience? These job openings for the general public are for you.
Current & former federal employees
Are you a current or former federal employee? Here are jobs open to:
- Current federal employees serving under a career or career conditional appointment.
- Former federal employees with reinstatement eligibility; and persons eligible for non-competitive appointment under special hiring authorities (e.g., Veterans Recruitment Appointment, VEOA, etc).
- U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers.
Did you serve our country and are now looking for a new challenge?
Students & recent graduates
Are you a student or recent college graduate who wants to start your career with us?
People with disabilities
Are you a person with a disability who’s looking to join our team?
Returned Peace Corps Volunteers
Are you a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer? Visit our Peace Corps Volunteers page.
Senior Executive Service (SES)
Looking for an SES position? Visit USAJOBS.
All open CMS jobs
Want to see all of our open jobs? Here’s our USAJOBS search page where you can search all of our announcements posted now on USAJOBS.
Need more information?
If you have questions about a specific CMS vacancy, email the servicing Human Resources Specialist listed on the job’s announcement. Each vacancy announcement has contact information.
Want help with a federal resume? CMS offered Federal resume writing workshop for employees, outlining nine strategies for writing a successful Federal resume, including tips for individuals eligible for the Schedule A hiring authority for persons with disabilities.
For more information about how the federal application process works:
- Create an account with USAJobs.gov
- Complete your profile to apply to jobs, save searches and save jobs.
- Search for jobs at CMS and select a job announcement you're interested in applying to.
- Review the job announcement and prepare your resume for a government position
- If it’s a CV, strip out academic language.
- If you are coming from the military, replace any jargon with the federal equivalent.
- Prepare to spend significant time (a couple of hours or more) on the application.
- Submit your application in USAJobs.gov to the CMS position. The application process can take a few months while we review applications and select candidates for referrals.
- Interview with the hiring manager for the position.
- Receive and accept your official offer from the CMS hiring official.
- Complete your onboarding paperwork including background investigation which may take several weeks or more.
- Receive your final job offer and a start date.
- Attend new employee orientation on your first day and report to your new office.
- Make a positive impact on Americans everywhere.