Do you think your identity has been stolen?
1. Contact your Unified Program Integrity Contractor (UPIC). The UPIC is the CMS fraud contractor that handles investigations on behalf of Medicare.
- Find your UPIC.
- Inform them about any suspicious activity you’ve noticed, such as beneficiaries indicating that your information is on their Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) without receiving treatment, or if you’ve received a demand letter from the MAC stating you are responsible for overpayments you never received.
- Find your MAC.
- Inquire about any recent changes to your Medicare enrollment, if any, and verify if you made those changes.
2. Respond to any inquiry from the UPIC. Part of their investigation is to interview the provider. Once you’ve verified their credentials, complete the interview as requested.
3. Report any suspected ID theft to the police.
Connect with CPI as we host or attend various events throughout the year, join our mailing list to stay informed on Program Integrity news, or find the most appropriate vehicle to report suspected fraud, waste, or abuse.