The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Pennsylvania State Flexibility to Stabilize the Market Grant Award
Grant Application Summary
Pennsylvania Grantee: Pennsylvania Insurance Department
Award Date: August 20, 2018
Total Award: $290,203.01
Baseline Award: $274,344.83
Workload Award: $15,858.18
Sections 2702 and 2703 - In addition to ensuring health insurance issuers are offering approved products for purchase and continue to offer coverage at the option of an individual or plan sponsor (unless an exception applies), he Pennsylvania Insurance Department will contract with consultants to assist with a market scan to assess the mix of coverage available in Pennsylvania health insurance markets and the impact that different types of coverage have on access to affordable coverage, premiums, and the number of uninsured or underinsured individuals. Pennsylvania’s goal is to ensure that consumers have access to quality, affordable health care; however, before making strategic changes to the market, a market landscape assessment will increase Pennsylvania’s understanding of the different types of coverage that are currently available to Pennsylvanians. Once the Pennsylvania Insurance Department affirms what coverage is available, it can assess how best to strengthen the types of coverage provided.
Section 2707 - The Pennsylvania Insurance Department will develop best practices and enhance existing review and exam processes through staff training. The department will send staff to trainings and conferences where staff will engage with peers and develop their professional competence, bringing new ideas and best practices back to the Pennsylvania Insurance Department. This will enhance the department’s review and enforcement efforts relating to Part A of title XXVII of the Public Health Service Act.
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)