The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
The Transitional Reinsurance Program – Reinsurance Contributions (RIC)
Who Makes Contributions in 2015?
Contributing entities are required to make contributions to fund the reinsurance program.
Contributing entities include:
- Health insurance issuers
- Self-insured group health plans
- Group health plans with a self-insured coverage option and an insured coverage option
- Multiple group health plans, including an insured plan, that are maintained by the same plan sponsor, that collectively provide major medical coverage for the same covered lives simultaneously
- Multiple group health plans, not including an insured plan, that are maintained by the same plan sponsor, that collectively provide major medical coverage for the same covered lives simultaneously
Although a contributing entity is responsible for the reinsurance contribution, it may use a TPA or ASO contractor to support the reinsurance contribution process.
The 2015 Reinsurance Contribution Rate is $44.00 per covered life.
Contributions can be made:
- In one lump sum of $44 per covered life
- In a two-part payment of $33 per covered life (first payment, due immediately) and $11 per covered life (second payment, due by November 15, 2016)
2015 Web-Based Training
For more information on completing the 2015 Form or the 2015 Supporting Documentation, use the 2015 Reinsurance Contributions Form Completion and Submission Web-Based Training (WBT). This WBT is readily available to walk users through the process to create the 2015 Supporting Documentation and complete the 2015 Form. This Web-Based Training is available at: https://www.regtap.info/ricontributions.php.
- 2015 Reinsurance Contributions Tools and Resources (PDF)
- Web-based Training on 2015 Reinsurance Contributions Form Completion and Submission
- 2015 Reinsurance Contributions Glossary (PDF)
- 2015 Supporting Documentation Job Aid and Job Aid Manual (ZIP)
- 2015 Supporting Documentation File Layout Requirements (PDF)
- Quick Start Guide to the 2015 Transitional Reinsurance Form (PDF)
- 2015 Reinsurance Contributions Annual Enrollment and Contributions Submission Form Manual (PDF)
- 2015 ACA Transitional Reinsurance Program Updating Contributions Filing Manual (PDF)
2015 Presentations for the Reinsurance Contributions Submission Process
- Module 1 – Transitional Reinsurance Program Overview for the 2015 Benefit Year (PDF)
- Module 2 – 2015 Reinsurance Contributions Counting Methods Overview (PDF)
- Module 3 – 2015 Reinsurance Contributions Program Form Completion, Submission and Payment (PDF)
- SPECIAL TOPIC: Successful Completion of the 2015 Reinsurance Contributions Supporting Documentation (PDF) (.CSV file, Applicable when Reporting Four or More Contributing Entities)
- Module 4 – 2015 Reinsurance Contributions Updating Contributions Filings (PDF)
2015 Operational Guidance Documents
- The Transitional Reinsurance Program Operational Guidance: Examples of Counting Methods for Contributing Entities (PDF) – UPDATED FOR THE 2015 BENEFIT YEAR
- Transitional Reinsurance Program – Timing of Contributions Refund Requests Due to Annual Enrollment Count Misreporting (PDF)