The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Alabama Rate Review Grants Award List
Cycle I Grant Application Summary
Alabama Grantee: Alabama Department of Insurance
Award Date: August 16, 2010
Award Amount: $1,000,000
- Pursue Additional Legislative Authority: Currently, Alabama’s Department of Insurance has very limited health insurance premium authority - restricted to reviewing premiums proposed by Blue Cross Blue Shield and HMOs. The Department of Insurance will introduce legislation during the 2011 session that seeks the authority to review and approve health insurance premiums in the individual and small group market.
- Expand the Scope of the Review Process: Alabama will expand the scope of its health insurance premium review to include additional health insurance companies and new lines of business.
- Improve the Review Process: Alabama plans significant improvements to its limited review authority. The State proposes to develop a new review unit in the Department of Insurance. Alabama also intends to develop and implement new regulations and establish a standardized filing and review process.
- Increase Transparency and Accessibility: Alabama is currently limited in the information it is allowed to publish. The State will seek legislative authority to post consumer-friendly summaries of health insurance premium reviews, develop toolkits for consumers and conduct town hall meetings for consumer education.
- Develop and Upgrade Technology: Alabama will upgrade its existing systems to assist in reviewing health insurance
- November 5, 2019 FAQ: Quality Rating Information Bulletin’s (Quality Bulletin’s) Display Guidelines for Direct Enrollment (DE) Entities
- November 1, 2019 Enhanced Direct Enrollment Approved Partners (Updated)
- September 11, 2019 FAQ: Enhanced Direct Enrollment Participation Requirements for Non-Issuer of a Primary EDE Entity Environment
- August 15, 2019 Quality Rating Information Bulletin for Plan Year 2020 Health Insurance Exchanges Quality Rating System (QRS) for Plan Year (PY) 2019: Results at a Glance
- April 18, 2019 CMS-9926-F: Final HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2020 Final 2020 Letter to Issuers on Federally-facilitated Exchanges Key Dates for Calendar Year 2019: QHP Certification in the FFEs; Rate Review; Risk Adjustment
- April 4, 2019 Guidance on Unified Rate Review Timeline: Timing of Submission of Rate Filing Justifications for the 2019 Filing Year for Single Risk Pool Coverage Effective on or after January 1, 2020
- March 19, 2019 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator Methodology
- March 6, 2019 CMS-9921-NC: Request for Information Regarding the Sale of Individual Health Insurance Coverage Across State Lines Through Health Care Choice Compacts
- February 28, 2019 Section 1332 Pass-through Funding Tools and Resources