Advance Copy: Update of State Operations Manual (SOM) Chapter 7 and Survey Process Timeframe Reminder
****Document updated and posted on 4/2/14 and contains updates made to the SOM effective 12-13-13 and corrects formatting
issues in the previous version.****
• Advance Copy of Chapter 7: Chapter 7 of the State Operations Manual (SOM) has been revised to incorporate the following
provisions of Section 6111 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (the Affordable Care Act):
• Independent IDR: An independent informal dispute resolution process (independent IDR) will be available when a civil money
penalty (CMP) is imposed.
• Escrow: After an independent IDR, CMP funds will be collected and placed in escrow pending completion of any formal appeal.
• 50 Percent Reduction: A CMP may be reduced by 50 percent in certain cases of prompt correction for self-reported non-compliance.
• Use of CMP Funds: A portion of the CMP attributable to Medicare may be used for programs for the protection or benefit of
nursing home residents.
• Reminder of Survey Process Timeframes: We are also highlighting specific timeframes associated with the survey process and
emphasizing the importance of meeting these timeframes.