Information for Clinical Laboratories Concerning Possible Ebola Virus Disease
• Testing of Persons under Investigation for Possible Ebola Virus Disease: The U.S.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued Interim Guidance for
Specimen Collection, Transport, Testing and Submission for persons under investigat for Ebola virus
disease in the United States. Before collecting any specimens, coordinate with the State Public
Health Laboratory (PHL)/CDC.
• Guidance on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to be used by Healthcare Workers: Included is
current CDC Guidance on PPE to be used by Healthcare Worke during Management of Patients with Ebola
Virus Disease in U.S. Hospitals including Procedures for Putting On (Donning) and Removing
• Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) also provides Valuable Ebol
• Links to these documents, other Ebola information and a 24/7 CDC contact numbe are provided.
• Effective Training and Communication are Essential to Safety. Laboratorians and other
healthcare personnel handling specimens for Ebola testing are strongly urged to review and fully
adopt and implement this guidance.
• Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Test System Information for Hospitals and Laboratories is
Provided. This includes test manufacturer, methodology, quality contr (QC) and test validation.
• Surveyors are to assess compliance for only CLIA. All regulations remain in effect.