RHC Appendix G Comprehensively Updated: The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has updated SOM Appendix G for
RHCs. The update includes the following features:
• Addition of a Survey Process Component: Appendix G now is divided into two parts, with Part 1 outlining the survey process
to be followed for RHC surveys.
• Guidance Reorganized: Part 2 of Appendix G is now organized to include Automated Survey Processing Environment (ASPEN)
“Tag” numbers, with specific regulatory text, interpretive guidance and survey procedures associated with each Tag.
• Renumbered Tags: The ASPEN tag numbering system currently in use for RHCs is being completely revised, to reflect the fact
that the Appendix now breaks down various RHC Conditions for Certification (CfCs) into separate components for purposes of
surveyor assessment of compliance.
• Guidance Clarified and Updated: The guidance for all of the RHC CfCs has been reviewed for its precision and clarity in
interpreting the regulatory requirements and, where applicable, consistency with current standards of practice.
• Timing of ASPEN Changes: We are working to make implementing changes in ASPEN as soon as possible.