The Skilled Nursing Facility Value-Based Purchasing (SNF VBP) Program
SNF VBP Program Overview
The SNF VBP Program rewards skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) with incentive payments based on the quality of care they provide to Medicare beneficiaries, as measured by a hospital readmissions measure.
Section 215 of the Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014 (PAMA) added sections 1888(g) and (h) to the Social Security Act, which required the Secretary to establish a SNF VBP Program.
PAMA specifies that under the SNF VBP Program, SNFs:
- Are evaluated by their performance on a hospital readmission measure;
- Are scored on both improvement and achievement;
- Receive quarterly confidential feedback reports containing information about their performance; and
- Earn incentive payments based on their performance.
All SNFs paid under Medicare’s SNF Prospective Payment System (PPS) are included in the SNF VBP Program.
SNF VBP Program Funding
As required by statute, CMS withholds 2% of SNFs’ fee-for-service (FFS) Part A Medicare payments to fund the program. This 2% is referred to as the “withhold”. CMS redistributes 60% of the withhold to SNFs as incentive payments.1
- SNF VBP Frequently Asked Questions
- MLN article about the Program
- CMS.gov Twitter Channel
- Send inquires to our helpdesk at SNFVBP@rti.org
1CMS is required to redistribute between 50% and 70% of this withhold to SNFs as incentive payments. CMS redistributes 60% of the withhold to SNFs as incentive payments. This policy was finalized in the FY 2018 SNF PPS Final Rule, available in the “Resources” section of this web site.
- Page last Modified: 05/09/2019 2:32 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins