Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Reform of Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities
Nursing home surveys are conducted in accordance with survey protocols and Federal requirements to determine whether a citation of non-compliance appropriate. Consolidated Medicare and Medicaid requirements for participation (requirements) for Long Term Care (LTC) facilities (42 CFR part 483, subpart B) were first published in the Federal Register on February 2, 1989 (54 FR 5316). The requirements for participation were recently revised to reflect the substantial advances that have been made over the past several years in the theory and practice of service delivery and safety. The revisions were published in a final rule that became effective on November 28, 2016.
The survey protocols and interpretive guidelines serve to clarify and/or explain the intent of the regulations. All surveyors are required to use them in assessing compliance with Federal requirements. Deficiencies are based on violations of the regulations, which are to be based on observations of the nursing home’s performance or practices.
The sections below provide additional information about the background and overview of the final rule, frequently asked questions, and other related resources.
- Revision History for LTC Survey Process Documents and Files - Updated 05/02/2019 [PDF, 131KB]
- LTC Survey FAQs - Updated 08/03/2018 [PDF, 525KB]
- Appendix PP State Operations Manual (Revised 11/22/2017) [PDF, 3MB]
- List of Revised FTags [Effective November 28, 2017] [PDF, 152KB]
- F-Tag Crosswalk [XLSX, 495KB]
- New Long-term Care Survey Process – Slide Deck and Speaker Notes [PPTX, 8MB]
- LTC Survey Pathways - Updated 08/03/2018 [ZIP, 5MB]
- LTCSP Procedure Guide - Updated 05/02/2019 [PDF, 1MB]
- LTCSP Initial Pool Care Areas - Updated 12/12/2018 [ZIP, 1MB]
- Survey Resources - Updated 05/02/2019 [ZIP, 15MB]
- CMS-802 - Updated 12/12/2018 [PDF, 178KB]
- LTCSP Interim Revisit Instructions - Updated 08/03/2018 [PDF, 71KB]
- Initial Surveys [ZIP, 734KB]
- Page last Modified: 05/02/2019 9:44 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins