Under HIPAA, HHS adopted specific code sets for diagnoses and procedures used in all transactions.
Code sets classify medical:
- Diagnostic tests
- Equipment and supplies
They inform diverse health care functions, from billing to tracking public health.
HIPAA Code Sets
Code sets outlined in HIPAA regulations include:
- ICD-10 – International Classification of Diseases, 10th edition
- Health Care Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS)
- CPT-Current Procedure Terminology
- CDT – Code on Dental Procedures and Nomenclature
- NDC – National Drug Codes
Keep Up to Date!
Sign up for Administrative Simplification Email Updates and follow us on Twitter