Health Informatics Office
The Health Informatics Office (HIO), within the Office of the Administrator (OA), oversees the CMS’ interoperability efforts.
To promote the secure exchange, access, and use of electronic health information to support better informed decision making and a more efficient healthcare system.
A secure, connected healthcare system that empowers patients and their providers to access and use electronic health information to make better informed and more efficient decisions.
- Patients and Caregivers have access and use of their complete electronic health record, confidence that their care providers are communicating and coordinating their care, and the ability to more meaningfully engage in their own care.
- Providers have easy access to the right patient health information at the right time to facilitate safer, better coordinated, and more efficient care.
- Payers facilitate care coordination through the exchange of health information and make timely coverage decisions based on current and accurate information.
- Researchers and Innovators have streamlined access to recent data to support groundbreaking studies, and development of new applications and technology.
Alexandra Mugge, MPH -- Deputy Chief Health Informatics Officer
Lorraine Doo – Senior Policy Advisor
Tecola Smith – Special Assistant
Denise St. Clair, PhD – Analyst
Learn more about the CMS Interoperability and Patient Access final rule.
CMS Interoperability and Patient Access Final Rule
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released the Interoperability and Patient Access final rule on March 9, 2020, delivering on the Administration’s promise to put patients first, giving them access to their health information when they need it most and in a way they can best use it.
Read the Fact Sheet to learn more about this final rule.
To view the CMS Interoperability and Patient Access final rule, download the PDF (PDF) or visit https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Interoperability/index.
To view the ONC 21st Century Cures Act final rule, visit https://www.healthit.gov/curesrule.
Get more information about the CMS Interoperability and Patient Access final rule:
- Information and tools to help implement the required FHIR-based APIs
- Implementation Guidance
- Best Practices for payers and developers sharing and receiving patient data via FHIR-based APIs
- Information to support payers as they produce patient education resources tailored to their patient population