Health Informatics and Interoperability Group
The Health Informatics and Interoperability Group (HIIG) (previously known as the Health Informatics Office (HIO)), within the Office of Burden Reduction and Health Informatics (OBRHI), oversees CMS’ interoperability efforts.
To promote the secure exchange, access, and use of electronic health information to support better informed decision making and a more efficient healthcare system.
A secure, connected healthcare system that empowers patients and their providers to access and use electronic health information to make better informed and more efficient decisions.
- Patients and Caregivers have access and use of their complete electronic health record, confidence that their care providers are communicating and coordinating their care, and the ability to more meaningfully engage in their own care in a more meaningful way.
- Providers have easy access to the right patient health information at the right time to facilitate safer, better coordinated, and more efficient care.
- Payers facilitate care coordination through the exchange of health information and make timely coverage decisions based on current and accurate information.
- Researchers and Innovators have streamlined access to recent data to support groundbreaking studies, and development of new applications and technology.
Alexandra Mugge, MPH -- Director and Deputy Chief Health Informatics Officer
Lorraine Doo – Senior Policy Advisor
Tecola Smith – Special Assistant
Denise St. Clair, PhD – Senior Policy Expert
Lynn Merritt-Nixon, CFE - Analyst
Questions? E-mail the CMS Health Informatics and Interoperability Group (HIIG) (previously known as the Health Informatics Office): (CMSHealthInformaticsOffice@cms.hhs.gov).
CMS Interoperability and Patient Access Final Rule
CMS published the Interoperability and Patient Access final rule on May 1, 2020, delivering on the Administration’s promise to put patients first, giving them access to their health information when they need it most and in a way, they can best use it.
Read the Fact Sheet to learn more about this final rule.
To view the CMS Interoperability and Patient Access final rule in the Federal Register, visit https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/05/01/2020-05050/medicare-and-medicaid-programs-patient-protection-and-affordable-care-act-interoperability-and
To view the ONC 21st Century Cures Act final rule, also published May 1, visit https://www.healthit.gov/curesrule. If you do need more information, you can reach ONC via their feedback form: https://www.healthit.gov/form/healthit-feedback-form.
Get more information about the CMS Interoperability and Patient Access final rule:
- Information and tools to help implement the required Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources® FHIR-based Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Implementation Guidance
- Best Practices for payers and developers sharing and receiving patient data via FHIR-based APIs
- Information to support payers as they produce patient education resources tailored to their patient population