Our Role in Advancing Interoperability
In collaboration with CMS and OBRHI Leadership, HIIG spearheads and coordinates CMS’ enterprise-wide interoperability strategy. HIIG:
- Develops interoperability policies that promote a Department of Health and Human Services-wide move to Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources® (FHIR®) application programming interfaces (APIs);
- Develops or supports pilot programs leveraging FHIR APIs to improve patient care;
- Works with standards development organizations to promote adoption of modern data standards;
- Engages with stakeholders to encourage innovation; and
- Supports CMS Offices and Centers in their efforts to build systems that enhance information exchange.
Key projects include: publishing policy, supporting the development of Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight’s advanced explanation of benefits and good faith estimates rulemaking, developing the concept of the National Directory of Healthcare Providers & Services, exploring a FHIR® API for Medicare to share data with other payers, implementing Medicare Fee-for-Service Requirements Modernization, and establishing and solidifying an Interoperability Governance Framework.