The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight

Kentucky Consumer Assistance

Kentucky’s participation in the federal Consumer Assistance Program grant was completed in October 2011, however, the Kentucky Health Benefit Exchange, the health Insurance Exchange in your state continues their program to provide assistance to consumers with health insurance questions or problems.  You can contact the Kentucky Health Benefit Exchange via their toll-free hotline at 1-855-459-6328.

If you need health insurance, be sure to check out’s Plan Finder. - Opens in a new window  It will help you find and compare health care coverage options in your area. In addition, the agencies listed below can help answer your questions about different types of coverage available in your state.

If you have questions about insurance you bought for yourself and/or your family or you have insurance provided by an employer who does business only in Kentucky, contact:

Kentucky Health Insurance Advocate
Department of Insurance
215 West Main Street
Frankfort, KY 40601

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 517
Frankfort, KY 40602-0517
(877) 587-7222
(800) 648-6056 (TYY) 

If you have a hard time affording health coverage and you have questions about eligibility or current Medicaid benefits, go to:

Application for Medicaid may be filed at your local Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) office.

(800) 372-2973

If you are not eligible for Medicaid, your child may still be eligible for the Children’s Health Insurance Program. For questions about eligibility or benefits, go to: 

Mail completed applications to:

P.O. Box 55270
Lexington, KY 40555-5270
Or fax to (859) 246-2890
(877) KCHIP-18 ((877) 524-4718)
(877) KCHIP-19 ((877) 524-4719) (TYY)
(800) 622-5397 (Spanish language service)
If you prefer, visit your local Department for Community Based Services Office to apply for KCHIP.

If you have a question, complaint, or dispute regarding insurance you get through a "self-insured" employer (typically a large company or one with locations in multiple states or countries), go to: 

U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
200 Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20210
(866) 4-USA-DOL ((866) 487-2365)

If you are on Medicare and have a question, or if you have a disability or end stage renal disease and want to enroll or find out if you are eligible for Medicare, contact: 

(877) 293-7447
(502) 564-6930

If you are a veteran and have a question or concern about veterans’ health care benefits, go to: 

US Department of Veterans Affairs
(877) 222-VETS (8387)

If you have questions about your health insurance that are not covered by the above resources, call the Health Insurance Assistance Team of the U.S. Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at (888) 393-2789.

Back to Map