The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight

South Carolina Consumer Assistance

South Carolina’s participation in the federal Consumer Assistance Program grant was completed in October 2011, but South Carolina continues to provide assistance to consumers with health insurance questions or problems.. The new consumer protections and benefits of the Affordable Care Act still apply to you.

The agencies listed below can help you take advantage of some of these new protections and benefits and they can answer your questions about different types of coverage.

If you need health insurance, be sure to check out’s Plan Finder. It will help you find and compare health care coverage options in your area.

If you have questions about insurance you bought for yourself and/or your family or you have insurance provided by an employer who does business only in South Carolina, contact:

South Carolina Department of Insurance
Street Address:
1201 Main Street, Suite 1000
Columbia, SC 29201
(803) 737-6160
(800) 768-3467
Fax: (803)737-6205

Mailing address:
Post Office Box 100105
Columbia, SC 29202

Consumer services:
(800) 768-3467
(803) 737-6180

If you have a hard time affording health coverage and you have questions about eligibility or current Medicaid benefits, go to:  

South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
P.O. Box 8206
Columbia, SC 29202

You may apply in person at the County Offices of the Department of Health and Human Services, federally qualified rural health centers, and at most hospitals. If you need help, please call (888) 549-0820

If you are not eligible for Medicaid, your child may still be eligible for the Children’s Health Insurance Program. For questions about eligibility or benefits, go to: 

South Carolina Healthy Connections
(888) 549-0820
(877) 552-4670 (TTY)

If you have a question, complaint, or dispute regarding insurance you get through a “self-insured” employer (typically a large company or one with locations in multiple states or countries), go to: 

U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
200 Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20210
(866) 4-USA-DOL ((866) 487-2365)

If you are on Medicare and have a question, or if you have a disability or end stage renal disease and want to enroll or find out if you are eligible for Medicare, contact: 

I-CARE (Insurance Counseling Assistance and Referrals for Elders)
(800) 868-9095
(803) 734-9900

If you are a veteran and have a question or concern about veterans’ health care benefits, go to: 

US Department of Veterans Affairs
(877) 222-VETS (8387)

If you have questions about your health insurance that are not covered by the above resources, call the Health Insurance Assistance Team of the U.S. Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at (888) 393-2789.


Back to Map