Nebraska Health Insurance Consumer Help
Nebraska does not operate a Consumer Assistance Program under the Affordable Care Act. The new consumer protections and benefits of the law still apply to you.
The agencies listed below can help you take advantage of some of these new protections and benefits. They can answer your questions about different types of coverage.
If you need health insurance, be sure to check out HealthCare.gov’s Plan Finder. It will help you find and compare health care coverage options in your area.
If you have questions about insurance you bought for yourself and/or your family or you have insurance provided by an employer who does business only in Nebraska, contact:
State Department of Insurance
Nebraska Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 82089
Lincoln, NE 68501-2089
If you have a hard time affording health coverage and you have questions about eligibility or current Medicaid benefits, go to:
Nebraska Medicaid Program
Department of Health and Human Services
Division of Medicaid and Long-Term Care
The best contact points are often the local offices of the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Click here for a list of local DHHS offices (http://dhhs.ne.gov/medicaid).
If you are not eligible for Medicaid, your child may still be eligible for the Children’s Health Insurance Program. For questions about eligibility or benefits, go to:
Kids Connection (Nebraska Children’s Health Insurance Program)
Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services Finance & Support
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5026
If you have a question, complaint, or dispute regarding insurance you get through a “self-insured” employer (typically a large company or one with locations in multiple states or countries), go to:
U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
200 Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20210
(866) 4-USA-DOL ((866) 487-2365)
If you are on Medicare and have a question, or if you have a disability or end stage renal disease and want to enroll or find out if you are eligible for Medicare, contact:
Nebraska Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP)
Toll free: (800) 234-7119
Local: (402) 471-2201
If you are a veteran and have a question or concern about veterans’ health care benefits, go to:
US Department of Veterans Affairs
(877) 222-VETS (8387)
If you have questions about your health insurance that are not covered by the above resources, call the Health Insurance Assistance Team of the U.S. Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at (888) 393-2789.
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)