Medication Therapy Management
This section contains information related to Part D Medication Therapy Management (MTMP) program requirements and information.
Requirements for Medication Therapy Management Programs (MTMP): Under 423.153(d), a Part D sponsor must have established a MTM program that:
- Ensures optimum therapeutic outcomes for targeted beneficiaries through improved medication use
- Reduces the risk of adverse events
- Is developed in cooperation with licensed and practicing pharmacists and physicians
- Describes the resources and time required to implement the program if using outside personnel and establishes the fees for pharmacists or others
- May be furnished by pharmacists or other qualified providers
- May distinguish between services in ambulatory and institutional settings
- Is coordinated with any care management plan established for a targeted individual under a chronic care improvement program (CCIP)
Each Part D Sponsor is required to incorporate a Medication Therapy Management Program (MTMP) into their plans' benefit structure. Annually, Sponsors must submit a MTMP description to CMS for review and approval. A CMS-approved MTMP is one of several required elements in the development of Sponsor' bids for the upcoming contract year.