MDS 3.0 Technical Information
What's New -
January 29, 2015
A new version (v1.13.0) of the MDS item sets was posted. This version is scheduled to become effective October 1, 2015, in conjunction with the new version of the data specs (v1.15.0). The item sets should be considered final.
December 11, 2014
RAVEN 1.2.1 (Resident Assessment Validation and Entry), currently available inside Related Links at the bottom of this website, is a Java based application that allows facilities to collect and maintain facility, resident and assessment information for subsequent submission to the appropriate state and/or national data repository. jRAVEN is free software provided by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Consult the jRAVEN Installation Guide 1.2.1 and jRAVEN User Guide 1.2.1 for further information.
Alert for jRAVEN Client/Server users!
All users who are utilizing the client/server option must upgrade ALL jRAVEN Client installations to the latest version before logging in. Failure to do so will result in a corrupt database and loss of patient information.
Note: If jRAVEN has NOT been upgraded to at least 1.1.5, this must be done BEFORE installing version 1.2.1. Please contact the QIES Help Desk at 1-800-339-9313 or email@example.com for instructions on installing jRAVEN 1.1.5.
jRAVEN 1.2.1 includes the following updates:
• Removed edit 3855
• Removed edit 3856
• Decreased login time
• Windows 8 support
• Print assessment report
• Resident match criteria
• Software disclaimer
• RAI manual - help context
• Export screen - export location
Choosing the appropriate installation:
Users that have not yet installed jRAVEN and wish to install a Network version (intended for a group of users with a designated database server in a separate location) should:
1. Use the jRAVENServerSetup-1.1.8 exe followed by the jRAVENSetup-1.2.1.exe
2. Follow the installation instructions documented in the jRAVEN 1.2.1 Installation Guide for Network Install
Warning: Do NOT install the upgrade to the server install, doing so will DELETE data.
Note: Please continue to regularly check the CMS Web site for software updates or additional information.
November 17, 2014
A new version (V1.15.0) of the data submission specifications was posted. Documents associated with this version are dated 11/03/2014. This version is scheduled to become effective October 1, 2015 and should be considered draft and subject to change until it is finalized.
The primary purpose of Version 1.15 of the data submission specifications is to accommodate the transition from ICD-9 diagnosis codes to ICD-10 which is scheduled for October 1, 2015. Version 1.15.0 of the data submission specifications also incorporates all of the changes that were described in the latest errata document for Version 1.14.1 which was dated October 29, 2014.
Details about the changes in this version are contained in the Edit Change Report and the Item Change Report.
November 3, 2014
An updated errata document for V1.14.1 of the data submission specifications has been posted. This version of the data specifications was implemented on 10/1/2014. As explained in issue #03 of the errata document, a problem was recently identified with edits -3855 and -3856 in which they sometimes incorrectly trigger fatal errors on records containing valid data. These edits are therefore being removed from the data specifications and will be removed from ASAP in November 2014.
May 22, 2014
A new version (V1.14.1) of the data submission specifications was posted. This version is scheduled to become effective October 1, 2014 and should be considered final. The new data specifications replace the prior draft version V1.14.0 and the new specifications incorporate all of the changes listed in the latest V1.14.0 errata document as well as several additional issues. This includes the recent delay in implementation of ICD-10 coding which is being handled on the MDS by requiring the submission of ICD-9 diagnosis codes in item I8000.Details about the changes that have been made are contained in the Edit Change Report and the Item Change Report.
A new revised version V1.12.0 of the MDS item sets was posted replacing the prior draft version V1.12.0. This new version should be considered final and is scheduled to become effective October 1, 2014 in conjunction with the new version of the data specs. The word “Draft” had been included in the document footers of the prior version. “Draft” is not included in the document footers of the new version.
August 08 , 2013
A Final Version of the RUG-IV Specifications and DLL Package (V1.03.0) was posted. This Final Version is scheduled to become effective October 1, 2013. This Final Version replaces the Draft Version previously posted on May 8, 2013. There are no changes to the code, DLL, or test data. The only changes in this Final Version, from the Draft Version, involve a few minor wording corrections in the Grouper Overview document and a few formatting changes in other documents. Please refer to the “RUGIV grouper overview” document for a summary of the changes that were made with this Final Version.
June 03, 2013
A new version (v1.11.1) of the MDS item sets was posted. This version is scheduled to become effective October 1, 2013 in conjunction with the new version of the data specs (v1.13.1). The item sets should also be considered provisional or draft and subject to change until final item sets are published.
April 17, 2013
One document in the RUG-III files posted on April 15, 2013 has been corrected. The document “RUG III MDS 3.0 mapping specifications V1.00.5 04-08-2013.pdf” has been replaced with a corrected version “RUG III MDS 3.0 mapping specifications V1.00.5 04-16-2013.pdf”. The only changes are replacing 2 references to “K6a” with “K6b” in the “Logic” section of page 49.
April 15, 2013
New versions of the RUG-III MDS 3.0 Version Converter DLL (V1.00.4) and the RUG III MDS 3.0 mapping specifications (V1.00.5) were posted. These new versions accommodate MDS item set changes for assessments on or after October 1, 2013 as well as earlier assessments.
April 12, 2013
The MDS 3.0 QM User’s Manual containing detailed specification for the MDS 3.0 quality measures has been removed from this page. The table entitled, Quality Measure Identification Number by CMS Reporting Module has been removed from this page. A new version of the MDS 3.0 QM User’s Manual (V8.0) and V1.2 of the Quality Measure Identification Number table are available in the Downloads section of the NHQI Quality Measures page.
MDS 3.0 Technical Information:
The following files contain technical information related to the MDS 3.0 and are now available under the Downloads section of this page:
- MDS 3.0 Data Submission Specifications (V1.15.0) – Detailed MDS 3.0 data submission specifications for implementation on 10-01-2015. (Updated 11-03-2014)
- MDS 3.0 Data Submission Specifications (V1.14.1) – Detailed MDS 3.0 data submission specifications for implementation on 10-01-2014. (Updated 05-08-2014)
- Revised MDS 3.0 Item Sets (V1.12.0) – Printable MDS 3.0 item sets for implementation on 10-01-2014. (Updated 05-08-2014)
- RUG-III and RUG-IV Files (posted together):
- RUG IV Files:
- RUG-IV Specifications and DLL Package (V1.03.0 Final) - Final Version 1.03.0 handles revised RUG-IV classification effective 10/1/2013. (updated 08-08-2013 )
- RUG-IV Unsmoothed and Smoothed Average Nursing Staff Time Means for the 66-Group, 57-Group and 48-Group Models Package (V.100). The unsmoothed and smoothed means are presented in PDF and CSV format. A PDF document describes the detailed methods used to smooth the nursing means.
- RUG III Files:
- RUG-III MDS 3.0 Mapping Specifications (V1.00.5) - This document presents logic that can be used to produce RUG-III classifications using assessment items contained on MDS 3.0 and accommodates item set changes for assessments on or after October 1, 2013 as well as earlier assessments. (updated 4-11-2013).
- RUG-III MDS 3.0 Version Converter DLL (V1.00.4) - The RugVersionConverter.dll is designed to accept a fixed-format MDS 3.0 string, convert payment items to MDS 2.0 format, and return a fixed-format MDS 2.0 string. The MDS 2.0 string can then be submitted to the RUG-III grouper DLL (RUG520.DLL) to obtain a RUG-III group. This version of the Converter DLL processes MDS 3.0 strings made in accordance with v1.00.5 of the RUG-III MDS 3.0 Mapping Specifications. (updated 4-11-2013)
- RUG-III Grouper Package (5.20) – Logic, test data, programs, and DLL to calculate RUG-III classification for MDS 2.0 records. This package can be used in conjunction with the RUG-III MDS 3.0 Mapping Specifications or Version Converter DLL to calculate RUG-III classification for MDS 3.0 records.
- RUG-III Errata Document - Provides information about errors in the RAB and RAA group ADL ranges in three documents in the RUG-III V5.20 Package. Document is dated 09-03-2010. (Updated 09-23-2010)
- RUG-III STRIVE Nursing CMIs (V1.00) - The nursing CMIs and nursing staff time means for the RUG-III groups (Version 5.20) based on the STRIVE staff time study are available for use in state Medicaid systems.
- RUG IV Files:
- Errata Document for RUG-IV Specifications and DLL Package (V1.03.0 Final). (Updated 8/14/2013 )
- MDS 3.0 CATs Specifications (V1.01.0) - Care Area Trigger (CAT) specifications for OBRA comprehensive assessments with an assessment reference date on or after 4/1/2012.
Questions regarding the information on this page should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that CMS will not be providing an individualized response to each inquiry; however, CMS will make sure the issues or comments are addressed in the upcoming MDS 3.0 training sessions or updates to the information provided on this page.
The information listed below under the "Downloads" section is subject to change. CMS will communicate any changes to these materials on this page as well as through Open Door Forums hosted by CMS.
- MDS 3.0 Item subsets V1.13.0 for the October 1, 2015 Release [ZIP, 8MB]
- MDS 3.0 Submission Specs V1.15.0 for the October 1, 2015 Release [ZIP, 9MB]
- MDS 3.0 Submission Specs Errata V1.14.1 for the October 1, 2014 Release [ZIP, 27KB]
- MDS 3.0 Submission Specs V1.14.1 for the October 1, 2014 Release [ZIP, 10MB]
- Revised MDS 3.0 Item Subsets V1.12.0 for the October 1, 2014 Release (updated 5/8/2014) [ZIP, 8MB]
- MDS 3.0 CATs Specifications (V1.01.0) 10-21-2011 [ZIP, 419KB]
- RUG III Files & RUG IV Files [ZIP, 3MB]
- Errata Document for RUG-IV Specifications and DLL Package (V1.03.0 Final) [PDF, 22KB]
- Page last Modified: 02/11/2015 4:22 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins