Minimum Data Set (MDS) 3.0 Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI) Manual
This webpage includes the current version of the MDS 3.0 RAI Manual and Associated documents. This page will be updated when:
- An update is made to the MDS RAI 3.0 Manual
- A newer version of the MDS RAI 3.0 Manual becomes available
- Or important information regarding the MDS 3.0 RAI Manual needs to be communicated.
Older versions of the MDS 3.0 RAI Manual are available for reference in the MDS 3.0 RAI Manual Archive.
On this webpage you will also find the most current MDS 3.0 Item Sets and Appendix B which lists all of the State RAI and Automation Coordinators.
October 01, 2021
The PDF file labeled “MDS3.0RAIManualv1.17.1R.Errata.October.1.2021,” available in the Downloads section below, contains revisions to pages in Chapter 6 of the MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.17.1R that update the NTA Comorbidity Score Calculation table.
Changed manual pages are marked with the footer “October 2019 (R).”
The errata document begins with a table that lists all identified revisions and the pages to which they have been applied. Following the table are the actual corrected replacement pages for insertion into the printed manual.
September 21, 2021
The September update of Appendix B to the RAI 3.0 User’s Manual contains changes to the list of State RAI Coordinators, MDS Automation Coordinators, RAI Panel members, and CMS locations and contacts. To ensure accurate formatting, use a current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this PDF. Web-based or mobile browser plug-ins may affect how the file is displayed. The file is located in the Downloads section below.
March 19, 2020
CMS is delaying the Minimum Data Set (MDS) 3.0 v1.18.1 release, which had been scheduled for October 1, 2020, in response to stakeholder concerns. The MDS item sets are used by Nursing Home and Swing Bed providers to collect and submit patient data to CMS. This MDS data informs payment, quality, and the survey process.
In December of 2019, CMS posted a draft of the MDS 3.0 item set v1.18.0 and received feedback from our stakeholders. We would like to thank the stakeholders for sharing their concerns regarding the proposed changes to the MDS 3.0 item sets and more specifically the removal of the Section G items from OBRA assessments.
The MDS changes CMS planned for October 1, 2020, will now be delayed. CMS staff are actively engaged in discussions with various stakeholders, regarding the various changes, the impacts of these changes, as well as, the compressed timeline to educate and train facility staff and update software and IT systems.
Please direct any comments or questions regarding the above information to MDSCodinganswers@cms.hhs.gov mailbox.
September 18, 2019
MDS 3.0 RAI Manual
The MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.17.1 and MDS forms, effective October 1, 2019 are available in the Downloads Section below.
This version of the MDS 3.0 RAI Manual incorporates clarifications to existing coding and transmission policy; it also addresses clarifications and scenarios concerning complex areas. Since the preliminary release of the manual on May 20, 2019, changes have been made to clarify which assessments Swing Bed providers must complete; the definition of the “interruption window” for interrupted Part A-covered stays; the coding of item I0200B; ICD Code; and changes related to group therapy policies, as well as other corrections. Please see the document titled MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.17.1 Replacement Manual Pages and Change Tables_October 2019 posted in the Downloads section at the bottom of this page.
MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.17.1 October 2019
- A single PDF file titled MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.7.1_October 2019, provides the entire RAI manual for use as an electronic version with bookmarks that you can click on to take you to each section of the manual.
- A single PDF file titled MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.17.1 Replacement Manual Pages and Change Tables_October 2019 which includes only the replacement pages for this year’s manual changes for those who want to update their existing paper-based manual with just the pages that have changed. It also includes the change tables that crosswalk the changes made to this year’s manual.
- Traditional ZIP files containing separate files for each chapter, section, appendixes, etc:
- MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.71.1 and Change Tables_October 2019_Part_1
- MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.71.1 and Change Tables_October 2019_Part_2
- MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.71.1 and Change Tables_October 2019_Part_3
MDS 3.0 Final Item Sets v.1.17.1 October 2019
- A single ZIP file titled MDS3.0_Final_Item_Sets_v1.17.1_for Oct_1_2019 containing each of the item sets associated with the MDS 3.0 version 1.17.1
Questions or comments regarding the MDS 3.0 should be directed to your State RAI Coordinator. State RAI Coordinator contact information can be found in the MDS 3.0 RAI Manual Appendix B document in the Downloads section below
Questions or comments regarding the MDS 3.0 should be directed to your State RAI Coordinator. State RAI Coordinator contact information can be found in MDS 3.0 RAI Manual Appendix B in the Related Links section below.
Disclaimer: This webpage is the only official site where the MDS 3.0 training materials are posted. Content contained in the files posted on this site should not be changed in any manner.
Legal Notice Regarding MDS 3.0 - Copyright 2011 United States of America and interRAI. This work may be freely used and distributed solely within the United States. Portions of the MDS 3.0 are under separate copyright protections; Pfizer Inc. holds the copyright for the PHQ-9; Confusion Assessment Method. © 1988, 2003, Hospital Elder Life Program. All rights reserved. Adapted from: Inouye SK et al. Ann Intern Med. 1990; 113:941-8. Both Pfizer Inc. and the Hospital Elder Life Program, LLC have granted permission to use these instruments in association with the MDS 3.0.