Quality Payment Program measure development
What are the CMS Quality Measure Development Plan (MDP) & the MDP Annual Report?
Our Quality Measure Development Plan (MDP) is a way to help us build and improve quality measures clinicians can report under the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and as participants in Advanced Alternative Payment Models (APMs). MIPS and APMs together are known as the Quality Payment Program. Our MDP is required by Section 102 of the Medicare Access and Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (MACRA).
To make the MDP for MACRA-funded measure development, we:
- Do environmental scans.
- Do gap analyses.
- Work with key stakeholders.
These activities help us to:
- Get expert input about the measures we need.
- Prioritize which measures to develop.
- Evaluate existing quality measures.
- Reduce the reporting cost and burden for clinicians.
- Meet our goal of person-centered, value-based measures to support the Quality Payment Program.
CMS Quality Measure Development Plan (PDF) -- May 2, 2016
The Measure Development Plan guides the development of quality measures to:
- Support value-based payment for eligible clinicians.
- Help people make decisions about their health care.
We posted the draft plan on December 18, 2015. Then, after we got extensive input from the public, we published the final Measure Development Plan on May 2, 2016.
2018 Quality Measure Development Plan Annual Report (PDF) -- May 3, 2018
Measure Development Plan (MDP) Annual Reports meet MACRA’s requirement to report our progress every year about:
- Our progress in developing measures for the Quality Payment Program.
- Implementing the CMS Quality Measure Development Plan.
We know clinicians face a burden and cost when they have to report. We’re committed to considering only what’s most important to providing high-quality care and improving patient outcomes.
You can also read the 2017 Measure Development Plan Annual Report (PDF).
2018 CMS MDP Environmental Scan and Gap Analysis Report (PDF) -- August 9, 2018
Our environmental scans look at quality measures for the Quality Payment Program. Each report finds gaps where targeted measure development would help us meet our quality priorities. Our first report was about the first set of priorities and specialty measurement gaps described in the MDP. Our latest report focused on 5 more clinical specialties selected in 2017.
You can also read the 2017 CMS MDP Environmental Scan and Gap Analysis Report (PDF).
May 2018 MDP TEP Meeting Summary (PDF) -- July 19, 2018
Our contractor holds Technical Expert Panels (TEPs) to help find recommendations to improve quality measures for clinicians. These panels of measurement experts, clinicians, patient/caregiver representatives, and other stakeholders review our gap analyses and give us input on the MDP Annual Reports. Their work will add to a future MDP update.
- Page last Modified: 08/09/2018 10:56 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins