Laws and Regulations
The Improper Payments Information Act of 2002 (IPIA), Public Law 107-300, enacted on November 26, 2002, requires the heads of Federal agencies to review annually programs they oversee that are susceptible to significant erroneous payments, to estimate the amount of improper payments, to report those estimates to the Congress, and to submit a report on actions the agency is taking to reduce erroneous expenditures. The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) identified Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) as programs at risk for significant improper payments. CMS developed the PERM program to comply with the IPIA [which has since been supplemented by the Improper Payments Elimination and Recovery Act (IPERA), based on Executive Order 13520 and enacted on July 22, 2010].
In order to implement PERM, CMS published a proposed rule (FR/Vol. 69, No. 166/Friday, August 27, 2004), an interim final rule (FR/Vol. 70, No. 192/Wednesday, October 5, 2005), a second interim final rule (FR/Vol. 71, No.166/Monday, August 28, 2006), a final rule (FR/Vol. 72, No. 169/Friday, August 31, 2007) and a final rule (FR/Vol. 75, No. 154/Wednesday, August 11, 2010). CMS also published a Systems of Records notice for PERM (FR/Vol.71, No. 94/Tuesday, May 16, 2006).
Please e-mail any questions concerning the PERM regulations to PERMREG@CMS.HHS.Gov and you will receive a response as soon as possible.
- The New PERM Eligibility Review and Other Final PERM and MEQC Changes [PDF, 950KB]
- Final Rule (August 2010) [PDF, 252KB]
- Major Changes Summary - Final Rule (August 2010) [PDF, 32KB]
- Proposed Rule (July 2009) [PDF, 163KB]
- Final Rule (August 2007) [PDF, 202KB]
- Second Interim Final Rule (August 2006) [PDF, 253KB]
- Interim Final Rule (October 2005) [PDF, 167KB]
- Proposed Rule (August 2004) [PDF, 100KB]
- System of Records (May 2006) [PDF, 66KB]
- State Health Official Letter-August 2013 [PDF, 106KB]
- State Health Official Letter - CHIPRA and PERM [PDF, 213KB]
- State Health Official Letter - OIG and PERM [PDF, 176KB]
- State Health Official Letter dated Oct. 23, 2007 [PDF, 3MB]
- Page last Modified: 04/08/2019 2:44 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins