Consumer Support and Information
The Affordable Care Act provides consumers with significant new protections, including the ability to appeal decisions by plans to deny coverage of needed services and select an available primary care provider of their choosing.
As part of the law, CCIIO is helping consumers appeal health plan decisions, understand the Consumer Assistance Program, and more easily understand and evaluate their health insurance choices.
The new Consumer Assistance Program Grants (CAP Grants) will educate consumers about their health coverage options and ensure access to accurate information.
The law ensures consumer’s rights to appeal health plans decisions or request a reconsideration of a decision to deny payment for a service or treatment.
The Affordable Care Act ensures consumers have access to two forms that will help them understand and evaluate their health insurance choices - a Summary of Benefits and Coverage and a uniform glossary of terms commonly used in health insurance coverage.
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)