Since January 1, 2014, consumers and small businesses in every state (including the District of Columbia) have had access to obtain health and/or dental insurance coverage through Individual or Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) Health Insurance Exchanges, operated by States through State-based Exchanges (SBEs), or operated by the Federal government through the Federally-facilitated Exchange (FFE).
States who wish to establish a SBE are required to convey their intent in doing so by submitting a declaration letter to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). States were also eligible, through November 2014, to apply for Federal grants to support the establishment of their SBE. Since 2014, CMS’s Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight (CCIIO) has been providing conditional approval for states requesting to establish a SBE. Historic declaration letters and other correspondence from States related to Exchange establishment can be found here. Since 2014, a few States who were conditionally approved to operate a SBE have transitioned to a different Exchange model. As of November 1, 2020, there are 15 SBEs, and 6 State-based Exchanges on the Federal platform (SBE-FPs). SBE-FPs are SBEs who rely on HHS services for performing certain Exchange functions, particularly eligibility and enrollment, while still retaining responsibility for performing certain Exchange functions such as Qualified Health Plan (QHP) certification and consumer outreach and assistance functions. Three of the SBE-FPs also utilize the Federal platform for their SHOP eligibility functions. The three SBE-FPs that perform SHOP eligibility functions are noted below by an asterisk next to the SBE-FP’s name.
Below is a list of the SBEs and SBE-FPs, and where available, a state’s declaration letter, HHS/CMS’ conditional approval letter, and a State’s Exchange website link. For further information, please contact the State directly.
Note: People using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information in these files. For assistance, please e-mail AltFormatRequest@cms.hhs.gov.
Updated: June 2, 2021
State-based Exchanges for Plan Year 2021:
District of Columbia
State-based Exchanges on the Federal Platform for Plan Year 2020:
- Declaration Letter (PDF)
- Conditional Approval (PDF)
- My Arkansas Health Insurance Marketplace Website
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)