LTCH CARE Data Set & LTCH QRP Manual
This page includes the current versions of LTCH CARE Data Set, LTCH QRP Manual and associated documents. This page will be updated when
- an update is made to either these resources,
- a newer version becomes available,
- or important information regarding these tools needs to be communicated.
The older versions of these documents will remain available for reference in the archives section.
Long-Term Care Hospital (LTCH) Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) Data Set Section I, Active Diagnoses, to ICD-10 Mapping
A resource document that provides a mapping of Section I data elements in the LTCH CARE Data Set to ICD-10 codes, where applicable, is available. Definitions of primary diagnoses, comorbidities, and coexisting conditions in Section I remain unchanged. Providers should follow the coding instructions found in Chapter 3 Section I of the Long-Term Care Hospital (LTCH) Quality Reporting Program (QRP) Manual available in the downloads section of the LTCH CARE Data Set & LTCH QRP Manual webpage. Note that this information is intended to assist providers in identifying patients with these diagnoses and that for those diagnosis categories that are not based on an HCC, the list of diagnosis codes is not all-inclusive.
Questions regarding this file should be sent to the LTCH Quality Questions Help Desk at LTCHQualityQuestions@cms.hhs.gov.
Long-Term Care Hospital (LTCH) Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) Data Set
The LTCH CARE Data Set is the assessment instrument LTCH providers use to collect patient assessment data in accordance with the LTCH QRP. Patient assessment data is collected on admission, discharge (planned or unplanned), and for patients who die (expired). The LTCH CARE Data Set V 4.00 was implemented July 1, 2018 and is currently in use. For more information about data collection and submission, please refer to the LTCH Quality Reporting Data Submission Deadlines webpage.
Long-Term Care Hospital (LTCH) Quality Reporting Program (QRP) Manual
The LTCH QRP Manual provides guidance to LTCHs regarding quality data collection, submission, and reporting to comply with the requirements of the LTCH QRP. The LTCH QRP Manual offers item-by-item coding instructions and coding examples for each item for LTCH staff to accurately complete the LTCH CARE Data Set. The most recent version of the LTCH QRP Manual is available in the downloads section below.
- LTCH QRP Manual Version 4.0 Updates – May 2019 [ZIP, 416KB]
- LTCH QRP Manual Version 4.0 Updates - October 2018 [ZIP, 602KB]
- LTCH QRP Manual Version 4.0 Errata - July 2018 [ZIP, 52KB]
- LTCH QRP Manual Version 4.0 - Effective July 1, 2018 (Revised May 2018) [ZIP, 6MB]
- LTCH QRP Manual Version 4.0 Change Table - Effective July 1 2018 (Revised May 2018) (002) [PDF, 680KB]
- Final LTCH CARE Data Set Version 4.00 - Effective July 1, 2018 [ZIP, 1016KB]
- Final LTCH CARE Data Set Version 4.00 Change Table - Effective July 1, 2018.pdf [PDF, 350KB]
- LTCH CARE Data Set Section I to ICD 10 Mapping_508C [PDF, 1MB]
- Page last Modified: 05/23/2019 10:50 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins