MDS 3.0 RAI Manual
This page contains the current MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.13 and MDS forms, effective October 1, 2015. This version of the MDS 3.0 RAI Manual incorporates clarifications to existing coding and transmission policy and addresses clarifications and scenarios concerning complex areas.
The downloads section at the bottom of this page contains:
- MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.13
• A single PDF file of the entire RAI manual for use as an electronic version with bookmarks that you can click on to take you to each section of the manual.
- MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.13 and Change Tables October 2015
• Traditional zip files of the RAI manual and the change tables that crosswalk the changes made to this year’s manual. Note: This is the same material as the first item above, except there are separate files for each chapter or subchapter.
- MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.13 Replacement Manual Pages and Change Tables October 2015
• Replacement pages for this year’s manual changes for those that want to just update their existing paper based manual with the pages that have changed. It also includes the change tables that crosswalk the changes made to this year’s manual.
- MDS Forms (Item Sets)
• This folder contains the MDS forms (MDS item sets) used in long term care facilities (SNF and NF) & swing bed facilities
- MDS RAI Manual Appendix B
• Updated contact lists for the state and regional RAI/MDS contacts.
January 28, 2016
The January 28 update of Appendix B to the RAI Manual contains changes to the list of State RAI Coordinators, MDS Automation Coordinators, RAI Panel members, and Regional Office contacts. The file is located in the Downloads section below.
October 26, 2015
The downloads section has been updated to include a new electronic pdf version of the RAI manual and a folder that contains the current MDS 3.0 forms (item sets). This section still includes the traditional zip files of the RAI manual with the change tables, the RAI manual replacement pages, and Appendix B for your state and regional RAI/MDS contacts.
The RAI manual description at the top of this page lists all of the items in the downloads section with a description of each download.
September 15, 2015
RAI Manual v1.13 is available in the Downloads section below. MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.13 and Change Tables_October 2015.zip contains the full set of chapters, sections, appendices, and change tables. MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.13 Replacement Manual Pages and Change Tables_October 2015.zip contains only the pages that changed from v1.12R to v1.13 and the change tables of the corresponding chapters, sections, and appendices.
Some important changes: Please note that, unlike previous versions, version 1.13 has a footer date of October 2015 on every page, and the Table of Contents no longer lists different version numbers for each chapter/section. Second, the change tables no longer list corrections to minor formatting, punctuation, or typographical errors that do not affect interpretation of content. Numerous formatting corrections have been made to ensure that RAI Manual v1.13 meets the accessibility requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, especially in Appendix C and Chapter 3 pages with “definition boxes.” These pages may look different from previous versions, but replacement pages have not been provided because the changes did not affect content.
MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.12R and MDS 3.0 RAI Manual v1.12R. Errata, previously posted in the Downloads section below, are now posted on the Archived: MDS 3.0 RAI Manuals web page.
Disclaimer: This webpage is the only official site where the MDS 3.0 training materials are posted. Content contained in the files posted on this site should not be changed in any manner.
Legal Notice Regarding MDS 3.0 - Copyright 2011 United States of America and interRAI. This work may be freely used and distributed solely within the United States. Portions of the MDS 3.0 are under separate copyright protections; Pfizer Inc. holds the copyright for the PHQ-9; Confusion Assessment Method. © 1988, 2003, Hospital Elder Life Program. All rights reserved. Adapted from: Inouye SK et al. Ann Intern Med. 1990; 113:941-8. Both Pfizer Inc. and the Hospital Elder Life Program, LLC have granted permission to use these instruments in association with the MDS 3.0.
- Page last Modified: 01/28/2016 7:52 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins