In tribal communities, family members often care for elders and people with disabilities. Successful LTSS programs include services that promote the wellbeing of caregivers. Many types of caregiver support have worked well in Indian Country. Examples and other considerations for providing caregiver support are presented below.
Caregiver Support Needs
In Indian Country, 9 out of 10 caregivers are family members.1 Caregivers can find it extremely stressful to care for people who need assistance with daily living activities. Challenges, such as poor access to health care and transportation, can add to this stress and cause feelings of caregiver “burn out.” To ensure caregivers and the people they care for have the support they need to stay healthy, successful LTSS programs also offer services for caregivers.
Overview of Caregiver Support in Indian Country
- LTSS Research: Annotated Literature Review, Caregiver Support in Indian Country (PDF, 591 KB, 40 pages)
Discusses the challenges of caregiver support in American Indian and Alaska Native communities, available support for caregivers, and recommendations to overcome barriers
Caregiver Support Program Profiles
These fact sheets describe tribal LTSS programs that offer caregiver support services and highlight successful strategies, funding considerations, and lessons learned.
- Black Eagle Shield Senior Center (PDF, 171 KB, 2 pages)
Supports tribal caregivers living on the Blackfeet Reservation
- Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, Inc., Area Agency on Aging (PDF, 176 KB, 2 pages)
Provides elder care services, including caregiver support, to 17 tribes in Arizona
- Oneida Nation Elder Services (PDF, 187 KB, 2 pages)
Offers caregiver support groups and vouchers for respite care
- Southeast Senior Services (PDF, 150 KB, 2 pages)
Provides home- and community-based services to older Alaskans and their caregivers throughout Southeast Alaska
- South Puget Intertribal Planning Agency (PDF, 206 KB, 2 pages)
Works to manage caregiver support services for several tribes
- Taos Pueblo: Senior Citizen Center (PDF, 192 KB, 2 pages)
Supports caregivers through respite care and other services
View these webinar recordings and related materials to learn more about caregiver support services in Indian Country.
- Caring for Caregivers, and the Importance of Flu Vaccination (2016)
Outlines strategies to promote caregiver wellness, including protection against influenza
- Caregiving: Trends and REACH into Indian Country (2016)
Describes trends that affect caregiving, ways caregiving affects caregivers, and how the REACH program empowers caregivers to care effectively for others
- REACH into Indian Country: Support for Dementia Caregivers (2015)
Highlights the structure, principles, and results of the REACH intervention, which supports caregivers
- REACH VA: Support for Dementia Caregiver (PDF, 1.28 MB, 25 pages)
Discusses the REACH VA intervention, which helps enhance the health of caregivers who care for people with dementia
- Page last Modified: 07/19/2017 7:30 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins