Nurses at CMS
The most rewarding thing about being a nurse is making a difference in the lives of others. At CMS, nurses help protect our most vulnerable populations on a national scale and have the opportunity to make a positive impact in America’s health care system by advancing health equity, expanding coverage, and improving health outcomes.
As a nurse at CMS, you’ll provide your expertise and clinical experience across the agency. You’ll work closely with health policy experts to carry out job responsibilities such as:
- Conducting onsite surveys to evaluate the performance and effectiveness of health care providers.
- Provide clinical nursing perspective in the assessment of policies, projects, and data related to the measurement of quality, legislative and administrative proposals, and make recommendations to agency managers.
- Deliver clinical practice advice as part of CMS program policy or support teams responsible for interpreting applicable laws, regulations and policies regarding highly complex issues in CMS administered programs
- Provide expertise on the areas of clinical quality improvement programs; utilization management and clinical standards impacting health service delivery.
There are a variety of roles for nurses throughout the agency.
To view all current opportunities, please visit USAJOBS.
**Important Note: Transcripts and Proof of Current Nursing License required at the time of application. You may visit www.nursys.com to download a copy of your current, active license and attach to your application package. Proof should include your name, license number, and expiration date showing license is current and active.***
Pay & Benefits
For individuals and families who value quality of life, a career at CMS is wonderful. CMS offers great benefits and competitive pay, along with a strong commitment to work-life balance. Perks include flexible work schedules (including telework), generous vacation and sick leave, and excellent training and development opportunities.
- Starting pay $68,299 - $126,742 per year based on experience & locality
- Locality pay info can be found here
- Opportunities for career advancement
Leave & Holidays
- 13–26 paid vacation days each year
- 13 days paid sick days each year
- 11 paid federal holidays
"CMS has done a great job of work-life balance, which I really appreciate. I have three children and having that balance is so helpful and really makes it easier for me to work and concentrate on the things that I need to." – Rebecca Elkins, CMS Nurse Surveyor, Boston, MA
At CMS, we truly understand and support the value of diversity in improving organizational efficiency and effectiveness. We continually strive to promote a climate of innovation, opportunity, and success that capitalizes on the cultural, professional, and personal diversity of our workforce.
CMS has a culture that’s grounded in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Not only in the policies and programs that we’re working on right now but also in the many ways we support staff across the agency.
In addition to the vast resources available to employees, CMS encourages all employees to seek out Employee Resource Groups (ERGs). These groups are voluntary, employee-led groups that serve as a resource by fostering a diverse, inclusive workplace aligned with organizational mission, values, and goals. ERGs form around common backgrounds that help ensure all employees have an opportunity to be heard, valued and engaged.
Federal resume tips
Questions about how to write a federal resume? Please watch our webinar on Decoding Federal Resumes:
To view additional webinars about USAJOBS, culture at CMS and to hear from hiring managers, please visit our YouTube Playlist.