How to File an EEO Complaint

How to File an EEO Complaint

Who Can File:

A current or former Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) employee or applicant for employment who believes he/she has been discriminated against because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or physical or mental disability, genetic information, sexual orientation or in retaliation for past EEO activity or for opposition to discrimination may file an EEO complaint.

When Must Allegations of Discrimination be Raised:

Before filing an EEO complaint, you must first initiate contact with an EEO counselor within 45 calendar days of the date of the alleged discriminatory act or, if a personnel action is involved, within 45 calendar days of its effective date. Class action allegations must be presented by a class agent within 45 calendar days of the date when the specific policy or practice adversely affected the class agent.

EEO Counselor contact:

Ronza Othman
EEO Counseling/ADR Coordinator
Direct office number: (410) 786-3274
Main number : (410) 786-5110
TTY number : (410) 786-3800
Fax number : (410) 786-9549
Email address:
Office Address:
7500 Security Boulevard. N2-22-16
Baltimore, MD 21244-1850

What Information is Needed:

  • Your name, mailing address, and telephone number
  • Your position, grade, component, duty hours and days off
  • The specific basis(es) of discrimination alleged; i.e., race, color, etc.
  • A brief description of the action that gave rise to the complaint, the date of event(s), and the requested remedy

Can I Request Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Instead of EEO Counseling?

After initiating contact with an EEO Counselor, you will be provided information about the traditional EEO Counseling process and the Agency's ADR Process for EEO complaints. In most cases, you will be advised that you have to exercise an election option, proceeding in the pre-complaint stage using either ADR/mediation or traditional EEO counseling.


Page Last Modified:
09/06/2023 04:51 PM