Successful LTSS programs include services that promote the wellbeing of caregivers. Many types of caregiver support have worked well in Indian Country.
Overview of caregiver support
In tribal communities, family members often care for elders and people with disabilities. Providing care for a loved one who needs assistance with daily living activities can be stressful and challenging. Caregiver support helps relieve some of this stress.
Learn more about support for caregivers in Indian Country:
- Literature Review—Caregiver Support in Indian Country (PDF) (591 KB, 40 pp): Discusses the challenges of caregiver support in American Indian and Alaska Native communities, available support for caregivers, and recommendations to overcome barriers
Caregiver support needs in Indian Country
In Indian Country, 9 out of 10 caregivers are family members. Challenges common in AI/AN communities, like limited access to health care and transportation, can add to the stress of caregiving. Caregiver support promotes the wellbeing of the caregiver to help them provide the best care possible.
Program examples and resources
These resources share considerations and promising practices for caregiver support in tribal LTSS programs.
- Black Eagle Shield Senior Center (PDF) (171 KB, 2 pp)
- Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, Inc., Area Agency on Aging (PDF) (176 KB, 2 pp)
- Oneida Nation Elder Services (PDF) (187 KB, 2 pp)
- Southeast Senior Services (PDF) (150 KB, 2 pp)
- South Puget Intertribal Planning Agency (PDF) (206 KB, 2 pp)
- Taos Pueblo: Senior Citizen Center (PDF) (192 KB, 2 pp)
These webinar recordings, webinar slides, and report describe caregiver support strategies, trends, and interventions in Indian Country.
- Video — Caregiving Challenges:
Discusses some of the challenges of providing care for a loved one with dementia
- Webinar recording — Caregiver Support:
Provides a better understanding of challenges that all caregivers face, regardless of who they care for and whether they are paid for that work
- Webinar recording — Caring for Caregivers, and the Importance of Flu Vaccination:
Outlines strategies to promote caregiver wellness, including protection against influenza
- Webinar recording — Caregiving: Trends and REACH into Indian Country:
Describes trends that affect caregiving, ways caregiving affects caregivers, and how the REACH program empowers caregivers to care effectively for others
- Webinar recording — REACH into Indian Country: Support for Dementia Caregivers:
Highlights the structure, principles, and results of the REACH intervention, which supports caregivers
- Webinar recording —REACH VA: Support for Dementia Caregiver (PDF) (1.28 MB, 25 pp)
Discusses the REACH VA program, which helps enhance the health of caregivers who care for people with dementia
- Report — Emerging LTSS issues in Indian Country: Caregiver training (PDF):
(775 KB, 14 pp): Provides an overview of caregiver training needs, challenges, funding options, and recommendations for Indian Country