LTSS for Native Veterans
Long-term care needs among Native Veterans are high, and tribal LTSS programs can help connect Veterans with care. The resources below describe the care needs of Native Veterans and offer program planning considerations for improving access to care for Veterans.
Overview of LTSS for Native Veterans
A high level of disabilities among Veterans means their long-term care needs are often complex. Veterans in Indian Country may face barriers to accessing care, such as geographic isolation.
Learn more about LTSS for AI/AN Veterans:
- Literature review—LTSS for Native Veterans (PDF) (3.3 MB, 38 pp): Provides an overview of LTSS needs among Native Veterans, barriers to care, efforts to improve access to LTSS, and recommendations to enhance care.
- Webinar recording—Overview of the VA and Long-Term Care Services (3.7 MB, 32 pp): Provides information on who is eligible for care under VA and considerations for providing LTSS to Native Veterans.
Download slides (PDF)
Long-term care needs for Native Veterans
While Native Veterans tend to be younger than Veterans of other races, they are more likely to have a disability. Native Veterans are also more likely to have post-traumatic stress disorder, which can lead to other health problems as they age. Cultural considerations are an important part of providing care that addresses these challenges.
Through collaboration with Veterans, IHS, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, tribal LTSS programs can help connect tribal Veterans with the support and care they need.
With these resources, see how other tribal programs address Veteran services, learn how to collaborate with VA, and explore resources from VA.
These fact sheets describe programs that serve Native Veterans and include information on successes, innovations, funding, and lessons learned.
- Ho-Chunk Nation Division of Veterans Affairs (PDF) (487 KB, 2 pp)
Highlights how the tribal department partners with other tribal and county offices to connect Veterans with care
- Lac Courte Oreilles Elder Services (PDF) (502 KB, 2 pp)
Describes how the tribe’s elder care program supports older Veterans
- Native American Veterans Association (PDF) (472 KB, 2 pp)
Showcases how the Native American Veterans Association helps Veterans access care
Collaborate with VA
View these webinar recordings to learn more about long-term care needs and opportunities for Veterans in Indian Country.
- Webinar recording—Connect with VA to Provide LTSS for Veterans
Introduces the VA’s Office of Tribal Government Relations and explains how to connect with them to help promote quality care for Native Veterans
Download slides (PDF) (2.3 MB, 18 pp)
- Webinar recording—VA Health Care on Native Lands
Gives an overview of the available services for Veterans in rural areas and the VA-IHS partnership that works to manage Veterans’ care
Download slides (PDF) (1.8 MB, 22 pp)
Connect with VA’s departments that work with tribal governments and rural clinics:
- VA Office of Tribal Government Relations (OTGR)
Learn more about how tribal partnerships with VA can help improve access to care for Native Veterans. Find contact information for the OTGR regional specialist in your area.
- Rural Interdisciplinary Team Training Program
This VA training program supports rural clinics in serving older Veterans
Resources from VA
These resources can help inform tribes seeking to improve access to LTSS for Native Veterans.
Determine Who is Eligible
- VA Health Benefits Explorer
Determine eligibility to enroll in VA benefits using the Health Benefits Explorer, or get help over the phone by calling 877-222-VETS (8387)
Enroll Veterans in VA Health Benefits
- Easy ways to apply for enrollment
Find information on how Veterans can apply to enroll in VA benefits
Get help if a Veteran is in crisis
- Call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and press 1
- Online chat and text at https://www.veteranscrisisline.net
Find long-term care information from VA
- Directory of Veterans Service Organizations
View a list of organizations that serve Veterans
- VA’s Guide to Long-Term Services and Supports for Veterans
Discover the long-term care services available to Veterans through VA and find tools for planning, financing, and providing LTSS for Veterans
Learn about tribal priorities for Veterans' care
- Tribal Priorities for Serving Veterans
Discover tribes’ top Veterans’ care priorities, which VA gathered through tribal consultation