Limited Income and Resources
Information for those with limited income and resources (those who may qualify for or already have the Low Income Subsidy to lower their prescription drug coverage costs.) Links and materials listed below. Click on "LIS Notices and Mailings" on the left to get a copy.
Information for People Who May Qualify for Extra Help
CMS and our partners continue to do outreach to find and enroll people who may qualify for the Low Income Subsidy (LIS) program, which lowers the costs for Medicare prescription drug coverage. We encourage local organizations to promote the availability of this program to people in their community. See the LIS Outreach toolkit (below) to get important resources & information to help people with Medicare learn about and apply for this program.
Information for People Losing their Automatic Eligibility for the Extra Help
Medicare and Social Security mails a notice on gray paper in September to people who will no longer automatically qualify for the Low Income Subsidy program in 2010. This notice (CMS Publication No. 11198) explains why a person no longer automatically qualifies, and encourages them to complete and return an enclosed LIS application (a postage-paid pre-addressed envelope is also included). People may still qualify for this program, but they need to apply.
Information for People with a Change in their Extra Help Co-payment Level
Medicare mails a notice (CMS Publication No. 11199) on orange paper in early October to people who continue to qualify for extra help in 2010 but will have a change in their co-payment level.
Information for People Medicare will Reassign to a New Plan in 2010
Medicare mails a notice on blue paper (CMS Publication No. 11208) in early November to people who continue to qualify for extra help in 2010 but will be re-assigned to a new prescription drug plan starting January 1, 2010. Medicare is re-assigning people who meet three factors: 1.) qualify for the full (100%) premium subsidy, 2.) their 2009 prescription drug plan in raising their premium cost above the determined low-income premium amount, and 3.) Medicare enrolled them in the plan. Medicare is also re-assigning all people who qualify for the LIS program whose Medicare Prescription Drug Plans are leaving the Medicare Program. Medicare will mail this notice (CMS Publication No. 11208) on blue paper by early November.
Information for People Who Chose Their Own Plan
Medicare mails a notice (CMS Publication No. 11267) in early November to certain people whose premium cost will increase but Medicare isn't re-assigning because they chose and joined their own plan. Medicare is mailing this notice to people who qualify for the full (100%) premium subsidy whose Medicare Prescription Drug Plan premium in 2009 would increase above the determined low-income premium subsidy amount. This notice lets people know the cost for their drug plan premiums in 2010 and their options to stay in their plan or join another plan, including plans for which they will pay no monthly premium.
- Year 2011 Re Assignment Data [PDF, 91KB]
- Year 2011 Chooser Data [PDF, 7MB]
- Year 2010 Chooser Data [ZIP, 1MB]
- Year 2009 Re-Assignment Data - Premium Increase [ZIP, 1MB]
- Year 2009 Re-Assignment Data - Terminating Plans [ZIP, 340KB]
- Year 2009 Re-Deeming – Losing Deemed Status [ZIP, 1MB]
- Year 2009 Re-Assignment Questions and Answers [PDF, 26KB]
- Medicare Coverage Gap Discount Program - Manufacturer Appeal Decisions [ZIP, 117KB]
- 2015 Mailings by CMS, SSA, and Plans [PDF, 80KB]
- Information partners can use on: Reassignment (PDF, 51KB) [PDF, 382KB]
- Re-deeming Partner Tip Sheet - Changes in Qualifying for Extra Help [PDF, 332KB]
- Medicare Limited Income NET Program
- Fact Sheet – What to Do if You No Longer Automatically Qualify for Extra Help - Opens in a new window
- Apply online for extra help and get additional information at Social Security Administration - Opens in a new window
- Information on re-determination letter from Social Security Administration - Opens in a new window
- Tool to Find local partners in your area - Opens in a new window
- LIS Notices and Mailings
- Page last Modified: 04/04/2013 3:29 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins