Certified application counselor designated organization application information
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is inviting organizations that would like to become certified application counselor designated organizations (CDOs) in a Federally-facilitated Marketplace (FFM) for plan year 2022 to apply during CMS’s Open Season.
CMS invites organizations that do not have an active CMS-CDO agreement and that wish to become a CDO in an FFM for the upcoming plan year, to learn more about being a CDO and submit an application. CDO Application resources can be found at the bottom of this page.
Organizations with an expired CMS-CDO agreement should submit a new application.
If you are unsure if your organization has an active or expired CMS-CDO agreement, please email us at CACQuestions@cms.hhs.gov. Please be sure to provide your organization’s name and CDO ID for verification.
CMS designates CDOs in the FFMs to certify their staff members or volunteers to act as certified application counselors if certain requirements are met. As an organization with an active CMS-CDO agreement, the CDO is responsible for uploading and maintaining a CAC Roster as well as maintaining its CDO record with CMS during the certification period using the CDO Organizational Maintenance Web Form. The CDO is also responsible for renewing its CDO status within a time frame determined and communicated by CMS, typically every 2 years.
Additional resources regarding the CAC Roster, CDO data maintenance and CDO renewals can be found on the Information for Active CDOs page.
For additional questions, contact us at CACQuestions@cms.hhs.gov.
- CDO Program Information
- Information for Active CDOs
- Technical Assistance Resources for Marketplace Assisters (Webinars, Newsletters, Training, etc.)
Active CDO resources
- User guide:
- Demonstration videos:
- CDO Organizational Maintenance Web Form Demonstration – Overview and Access Code – posted June 19, 2020 (video) (transcript) (PDF)
- CDO CAC Roster Technical Demonstration – posted November 2023 (video) (transcript) (PDF)
- CDO Organizational Maintenance Web Form Technical Demonstration – posted November 2023 (video) (transcript) (PDF)
- CDO Agreement Renewal Technical Demonstration – posted November 2023 (video) (transcript) (PDF)
CDO application resources
- User guide:
- CDO Application User Guide – (PDF) – August 2023
- Demonstration video: