The second round of Health Care Innovation Awards funded grants to applicants who were implementing the most compelling new ideas to deliver better health, improved care and lower costs to people enrolled in Medicare, Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), particularly those with the highest health care needs.
Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two: Awarded Projects
The CMS Innovation Center announced the first batch of prospective recipients for the Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two on May 22, 2014 and the second batch on July 9, 2014. The cumulative 39 awards were implemented in 27 states and the District of Columbia spanning a wide range of patient populations, from children to the elderly, across the care continuum. The projects are listed below:
Select a state from the dropdown to view the projects in that state
The second round of the Health Care Innovation Awards supported public and private organizations in four defined areas that had a high likelihood of driving health care system transformation and delivering better outcomes. The four defined areas included:
- Models designed to rapidly reduce Medicare, Medicaid, and/or CHIP costs in outpatient and/or post-acute settings.
- Models that improved care for populations with specialized needs.
- Models that tested approaches for specific types of providers to transform their financial and clinical models.
- Models that improved the health of populations – defined geographically (health of a community), clinically (health of those with specific diseases), or by socioeconomic class – through activities focused on engaging beneficiaries, prevention (for example, a diabetes prevention program or a hypertension prevention program), wellness, and comprehensive care that extended beyond the clinical service delivery setting.
The final awards ranged in value from an expected $2 million to $23.8 million over a three-year period. Each project was monitored for measurable improvements in quality of care and savings generated. Recipients received their final Notice of Award during summer 2014.
Latest Evaluation Report
- Two Pager: At-A-Glance Report (PDF)
- Two-Pager: At-A-Glance Report (PDF)
Prior Evaluation Reports
- Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two - Final Evaluation Report (PDF)
- Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – First Annual Report (PDF)
- Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – Second Annual Report (PDF)
- Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – Third Annual Report (PDF)
- Press Release
- Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two Project Profiles (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Health Care Innovation Awards Archived Materials
For more information, please direct your questions to InnovationAwards@cms.hhs.gov.