Secretary Azar acted under his authority in the Public Health Service Act and Social Security Act in declaring the public health emergency (PHE) in North Carolina and South Carolina on September 11, 2018 and in Virginia on September 12, 2018, authorizing flexibilities to support CMS beneficiaries. These actions and flexibilities are retroactive to September 7, 2018 in North Carolina and September 8, 2018 in South Carolina and Virginia. Read the blanket waivers for Hurricane Florence.
- North Carolina's 1812(f) SNF waiver.
- North Carolina's PHE declaration.
- North Carolina's 1135 waiver.
- South Carolina's 1812(f) SNF waiver.
- South Carolina's PHE declaration.
- South Carolina's 1135 waiver.
You can also see:
- Our provider survey and certification frequently asked questions (FAQs) about declared public health emergencies.
- More details about waivers and flexibilities.
The President issued emergency declarations for Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
A public health emergency declaration was issued on September 19, 2017. A Social Security Act waiver was issued on September 19, 2017, was effective September 16, 2017, and was extended to March 15, 2018.
You can find the documents for the PHE Declaration and the Social Security Act waiver for Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands on the Hurricanes page. You can also find more details and materials on the Hurricanes page.
U.S. Virgin Islands
A PHE Declaration was issued on September 19, 2017. *NEW* The PHE Declaration was extended on September 11, 2018. A Social Security Act waiver was issued on September 19, 2017, was effective September 16, 2017, and was extended to March 14, 2018.
Medicare, Medicaid, & Marketplace fraud
We’re committed to preventing, finding, and fighting fraud in Medicare, Medicaid and the Marketplaces. Unfortunately, when there are emergencies, there are con artists who look for ways to scam people who are affected. The Department of Homeland Security has information about avoiding fraud, scams, and cyber-attacks.
Find more information:
- ICS-CERT: vendor-specific security bulletins and FDA, Center for Devices and Radiological
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010 – Critical
- Microsoft Windows Advisory
- Additional Microsoft information
- US-CERT SMB Advisory & Best Practices
- Emergency Prescription Assistance Program (EPAP)
- Public Health Emergency Declarations
- Quality, Safety, & Oversight Group- Emergency Preparedness General Overview
- Quality, Safety, & Oversight Group- Emergency Preparedness Final Rule
- Federal Emergency Management Agency Disaster Declarations
- CMS Emergency Events Archive
- Hurricane Irma Resources from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- TRACIE – Healthcare Emergency Preparedness Gateway
- Page last Modified: 09/14/2018 1:04 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins