The Roll-Out of the New End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Core Survey Process
Core Survey Pilot: ESRD surveyors in 11 states completed more than 100 surveys during the pilot phase of the new ESRD Core
Survey during July through September 2012. The Core-trained surveyors in the pilot States may continue to use the Core Survey
• New Process Results: Initial data analysis shows continued effectiveness while reducing survey time.
• Training Plan: National training on the new ESRD Core Survey process starts November 28, 2012:
o The 3-day ESRD Core Conversion Survey Course is for experienced ESRD surveyors.
o The 4-day ESRD Basic Technical Core Course is for new ESRD surveyors.
• State Procedures: All ESRD surveyors need to designate their surveys as either “Traditional” or “Core” in Automated Survey
Processing Environment (ASPEN).
• STAR Update Schedule: Updates to the ESRD computer-based survey, Surveyor Technical Assistant for Renal (STAR), will be
in two phases:
o STAR Lite will highlight Core elements and will be available summer 2013.
o STAR Brite will be a total conversion to the Core survey process and will be available at a later date.
• Implementation Support: In addition to traditional support for survey decisions through the State Agencies and Regional
Offices, a specialized mailbox will provide additional support: ESRDCoreSurvey@cms.hhs.gov.