Open Payments Data Overview
Since the Open Payments program started in 2013, CMS has published 76.24 million records, accounting for $53.01 billion in payments and ownership and investment interests.
Open Payments Program Year 2019
What data is reported to Open Payments?
Data is reported across three payment categories:
- General Payments - Payments or transfers of value that are not in connection with a research agreement or research protocol
- Research Payments - Payments or transfers of value made in connection with a formal research agreement or research protocol
- Ownership and Investment Interests - Information about the ownership or investment interests that physicians or their immediate family members have with the reporting entities
These payments can be reported as:
- Direct Payments - Paid directly to covered recipients
- Indirect Payments - Paid indirectly to covered recipients through an intermediary such as a medical specialty society
- Third Party Payments - Designated by covered recipients to be paid to another party
Reporting entities may request a delay in publication for certain payment records related to research and development. A delay in publication request may be renewed annually up to four calendar years after the date of payment.